First chainsaw!

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey everyone! New member here. I have been lurking for some weeks now. I finally bought some land and a new modular house, so me and my wife needed a chain saw. We are still a ways out from getting moved in, as our house isn’t even built yet lol.

Anyways, I did a lot of re-search on these saws. I went with a Stihl 261 (20” Bar) “Non-Mtronic” model. I knew I wanted a Stihl 261 FOR SURE at a minimum. I was considering a 362 or possibly 400. But that price got me 🥲

I walked in to my local Stihl store today”John Deere dealer”, and was literally spending like 15 minutes just debating if I wanted Mtronic or no Mtronic, I’d already debated this enough at home on the internet. I was getting excited with the idea of tuning my own saw! Like I did so many Nitro RC cars in my childhood. 😃 I was also thinking like, 10-20 years down the road. What if something stops working electrically, if I can opt without that possibility, I might go that route instead. But I love the idea of Mtronic too! I guess the best move is buying both? I don’t know. Anyways, I got this one for now. Sorry for the rambling everyone. I hope I made the right choice. I was worried about Mtronic letting me down, and also wanting a saw I can count on 100% of the time without problems. Plus, these things are crazy expensive. I’m just a regular guy, never owned/used a chainsaw before. This research of wanting something good and solid led me to all of you enthusiast on here lol.

IMG_4105.jpeg
IMG_4109.jpeg
IMG_4110.jpeg

IMG_4108.jpeg

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome! And a 261 is a great first saw purchase. After you get things going at your new place and are able to set yourself up a shop space/garage, get a decent small vise on a sturdy workbench so you have a spot to do chain maintenance. We have a member who makes chain vises so you can maintain your chains off the saw. Eventually you'll need to do bar maintenance as well depending on how much cutting you'll be doing. There's plenty of low-buck ways to keep your bars in good shape.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went with a Stihl 261 (20” Bar) “Non-Mtronic” model.
You can't go wrong with both types. I like the M-tronic, my friend hates his (he is a screwdriver turner!), I don't think it will be long until he is converting his to a carb (just need carb, flywheel and coil and your Mtronic becomes a 261 (non-c). Great saw with lots of options! You start out with .325 chain, but can make some quick changes and run 3/8 if you want. 4HP at 11 lbs, its a winner. I was using someone's 361 the other day for limbing and small trees and was wishing I had my 261! Lots of aftermarket parts for it too, so if something goes sideways you are not locked into $$$ parts like you are with the 271/291 series.

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank-you all for the comments and suggestions!!!

Next thing I will focus on is how to keep that chain razor sharp all the time. Probably won’t modify the saw, I know a lot of people do that on here though haha (Maybe I will 😈). Buying a saw today is tough with all of the nice options available though! If only I was rich, I’d own a 261/362/462!

I didn’t realize how freaking awesome chain saws were though. I can see the appeal now. Also, this saw runs absolutely amazing right out of the box. It feels like someone tuned it at Stihl relatively well. I don’t think any adjustments need to be made at all.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t realize how freaking awesome chain saws were though. I can see the appeal now. Also, this saw runs absolutely amazing right out of the box. It feels like someone tuned it at Stihl relatively well. I don’t think any adjustments need to be made at all.
Stay away from antique stores, pawn shops and dumps....those places are an easy way for chainsaws to multiply at your house for relatively low $$. You start out thinking...oh, this will be a fun project saw and that will be a fun project saw and before you know it...you are hooked. I have a hard time parting with saws....they are like children :D

In stead of a 362 or a 462, you might look for a 036 or a 046 project saw, there are quite a few aftermarket and OEM parts for them and they are really good saws. I have a dump salvage 046 and it just needed a new fuel tank (crushed) and a carb, so for $50 I have a really good saw and it was a fun project to take apart, clean and put back together and get running again!

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stay away from antique stores, pawn shops and dumps....those places are an easy way for chainsaws to multiply at your house for relatively low $$. You start out thinking...oh, this will be a fun project saw and that will be a fun project saw and before you know it...you are hooked. I have a hard time parting with saws....they are like children :D

In stead of a 362 or a 462, you might look for a 036 or a 046 project saw, there are quite a few aftermarket and OEM parts for them and they are really good saws. I have a dump salvage 046 and it just needed a new fuel tank (crushed) and a carb, so for $50 I have a really good saw and it was a fun project to take apart, clean and put back together and get running again!

I will look in to this. I almost bought a used 461 from someone on here. I was seriously considering it for $500. It was all completely rebuilt and ready to go and running good. But it was an ugly looking dang thing haha. I figure the first one should be new though, but now I can look in to some project saws. I would like to have an older saw to tinker on.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
6:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome. You mentioned that you’re new to chainsaws. Be careful - always know where the tip of the bar is, even when you can’t see it. Know and understand kickback, and how to avoid it.

Also, if you have to apply any down pressure to cut, the chain is dull, stop forcing it and sharpen. This is where most newbs mess up - they continue to force cuts and over heat chains, bars, and the saw itself, creating a host of problems and significantly reducing the life of components and the saw itself.

As you know, this place is a wealth of knowledge. Ask if you’re not sure about something. Be safe, and have fun!

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will look in to this. I almost bought a used 461 from someone on here. I was seriously considering it for $500. It was all completely rebuilt and ready to go and running good. But it was an ugly looking dang thing haha. I figure the first one should be new though, but now I can look in to some project saws. I would like to have an older saw to tinker on.
An ugly saw has it's place too. It's less likely to get stolen.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome! Learn how to use the saw properly, how to hold, stand, PP gear, kickback, wedges can make your life easier too. There is a host of knowledge at your fingertips, dont be afraid to ask questions. Besides what is posted here, I would say think about what you're doing before you do it. Look at what you're cutting. Can it possibly spring back? Pinch the bar? Roll towards me? Does it have the possibility of barber chairing? Think and plan before you cut, it might save you a big headache not to mention a limb. Remember, you're dealing with something that is potentially deadly. BTW- I love my 261! You made an excellent choice IMO!

Sloughfoot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spend a few hours cutting with someone that half ass knows what they're doing. Or waste a few years and a bunch of money on chains and files figuring it out like I did.

Or watch all of the Buckn' Billy tutorials. Every single minute of every single one of them.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I almost bought a used 461 from someone on here. I was seriously considering it for $500.
If you are looking for a saw to work on, you don't need to spend $500...I got an Stihl 046, Husky 272 and Husky 2100 from the dump for free. Yeah, they need some work, but for $50, I had the 046 running. Found a Homelite Super XL at an antique store, paid $65, got it home, put fuel in it and it fired right up.

Adkfoothills

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Congratulations on your first chainsaw. I think you made a fine choice. Put in the time and effort learning about the things you'll need to know, and you'll be much better off in the long run. Be safe, keep a sharp chain and clean your saw when it's needed. Good luck and have fun. :)

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was being a bit silly and actually considering a Stihl 462, maybe a used 661 lol as a home owner saw 🤣. I was getting a little caught up in big CC/ big HP/power/big bar length. I had to slow down a bit and realize I have never even ran a saw before. Let’s just start with a 261.

bucketofguts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It will leak bar oil if it has oil in the tank. You need another saw to get the pinched bar out, A good ax, and some wedges. I reckon you read the oil threads. PPE including a bleed-out kit like Clottting agent, a Tourniiquet, An Israel combat bandage. Protect your hearing. You might think about a 16 inch bar and chain? Welcome and good luck to ya!