Everyday day man's tree work and cutting thread

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
7:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine are Arborwear Dogwoods. Vented in the back and don’t feel like a condom suit or snow pants. They’re the most comfortable ones I’ve tried and relatively affordable. They’re not very thick though. I’m fairly confident they’ll protect me in the tree with the little saws. I don’t think they would last long in briars.

This kinda stuff makes me think I should wear some pants when I go out. I had chaps but I don’t wear them much….

I’ve been bad at putting my chaps on for years. I think they’re more protective but for various reasons chainsaw pants are easier. A good pair of work pants aren’t much cheaper and they really add peace of mind.

There’s two types of people that wear chainsaw protection. Smart people and the ones who already cut themselves. Which one do you want to be?

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What cut speed rating on chaps/ pants do guys run/ recommend? I run 70-90cc saws if that matters
I already have a good hard hat I wear felling, might as well complete the ensemble

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got some new Powercare (Home Depot house brand) chaps on Fleabay for under 40 bux delivered. They really aren't that uncomfortable considering I don't cut incredibly often and certainly not when it's 90+ outside. I live out in the country and the ambulance could take a half hour to reach my address and then I'm probably out in the woods on top of that.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been trying out the Forester pants which were pretty cheap. Are they hot? I live in SC ... so skin is hot. They have leg vents in the back, instead of me putting "vents" in the front of my leg!
The only thing is I keep chaps in the truck because it's not feasible for me to wear them every day in my job.
I do want to get a pair of clogger denim pants ,but I have a uniform code at work and the safety look is OK but I might get a finger wag over jeans.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t see it happen. I think it was a tip grab.

Nothing like that. We’ve got a good deal with the crane company. The 55 ton is $300/hr. We pay for drive time and fuel. This one was 6.5hrs. Roughly $2k. The bigger cranes cost a lot more. We use the 90 and 115ton quite a bit.

Our trees aren’t very tall, so we don’t need the big guns. The 55ton only reaches 110’ radius.
That's definitely a good deal

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
7:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's definitely a good deal

Yeah. You’d be amazed how many people won’t pay it though. Rich people can be really cheap. They’d rather save $200, have some truck and ladder outfit devastate their yard and then write a ranting google review.

Of course, there’s 20% of the population who are sold as soon as you say crane. We had a guy ask his neighbor to host a barbeque so the whole neighborhood could watch. That was a little stressful just containing the work zone. Free lunch though. I wish we did more crane work.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah. You’d be amazed how many people won’t pay it though. Rich people can be really cheap. They’d rather save $200, have some truck and ladder outfit devastate their yard and then write a ranting google review.

Of course, there’s 20% of the population who are sold as soon as you say crane. We had a guy ask his neighbor to host a barbeque so the whole neighborhood could watch. That was a little stressful just containing the work zone. Free lunch though. I wish we did more crane work.
Agreed. You can tell them in my neck of the woods, a Crane average is around 30k A Day.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

How was the bbq though. Cause that’s important stuff