Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
6:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can look at the 2017 NEC if you want, but you MUST bond all grounds together and you must keep the neutrals seperate from the grounds, except at the utility service entrance into your main panel where the ground is tied to the neutral.

Think about it, if any neutrals have additional paths to ground, other than the neutral, GFCI breakers can nuisance trip, the uninsulated grounding conductor can now become a grounded conductor (current carrying), etc ....

Bond all ground rods, rings, wires, loops, and clamps together as one system with any metal non current carrying enclosure, IAW article 250 of the NEC

Only tie the ground to your neutral bus bar at your service entrance main panel.

I’ll check on the power cell or generator, but they are to have their housings grounded, and their own neutrals should already be integral to their operation.

The exception to this would be if you were installing a transformer, then depending on what type of transformer, you derive its neutral and bond that to ground within the transformers enclosure at the proper taps and frame.

Article 690 covers solar photovoltaic Systems, part VII if I’m not mistaken. I can check tomorrow when I’m in my office

Last edited:

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
5:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can look at the 2019 NEC if you want, but you MUST bond all grounds together and you must keep the neutrals seperate from the grounds, except at the utility service entrance into your main panel where the ground is tied to the neutral.

Think about it, if any neutrals have additional paths to ground, other than the neutral, GFCI breakers can nuisance trip, the uninsulated grounding conductor can now become a grounded conductor (current carrying), etc ....

Bond all ground rods, rings, wires, loops, and clamps together as one system with any metal non current carrying enclosure, IAW article 250 of the NEC

Only tie the ground to your neutral bus bar at your service entrance main panel.

I’ll check on the power cell or generator, but they are to have their housings grounded, and their own neutrals should already be integral to their operation.

The exception to this would be if you were installing a transformer, then depending on what type of transformer, you derive its neutral and bond that to ground within the transformers enclosure at the proper taps and frame
This!
Although there is no utility power so I would assume primary power is from batteries. Grounding means and bonding wouldn't change I don't believe. I am still unsure of what that second panel to the right is for and how that is tying in to the existing system.

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This!
Although there is no utility power so I would assume primary power is from batteries. Grounding means and bonding wouldn't change I don't believe. I am still unsure of what that second panel to the right is for and how that is tying in to the existing system.
That's the panel for the line from the generator to power the charger in the inverter. I don't know if it's needed but my solar guy told me to put it in.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
5:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the panel for the line from the generator to power the charger in the inverter. I don't know if it's needed but my solar guy told me to put it in.
Is the white box a transfer switch as well as an inverter? Is there some sort of voltage meter that says the batteries r low and tells the generator to power up or is it manual?

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The inverter allows the current to pass through with the generator running . On the inverter control box I can set how much current I want it to use to charge . It charges the batteries and everything is powered by the generator while it's running.
when a appliance or something turns on while its charging it automatically cuts back charging amps to prevent overloading the generator. It's hard to explain clearly . Lol.
I have to manually start the generator, but they make auto start for this system but it's expensive.

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok . Thanks for the info. I've helped an electrician wire a couple houses , but I only pulled wires and put in boxes . Is there a good book that a beginner can learn from ? Ive considered getting into electrical a time or two .

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can look at the 2017 NEC if you want, but you MUST bond all grounds together and you must keep the neutrals seperate from the grounds, except at the utility service entrance into your main panel where the ground is tied to the neutral.

The exception to this would be if you were installing a transformer, then depending on what type of transformer, you derive its neutral and bond that to ground within the transformers enclosure at the proper taps and frame.

Article 690 covers solar photovoltaic Systems, part VII if I’m not mistaken. I can check tomorrow when I’m in my office
I meant to quote this on my last post

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes thats a real cool systemu have. And i believe they call it load sheding with the applience spikes. U should do a build thread on it![/QUOTE its a magnum ms40/24 inverter .if you want more info on it look up the manual for it , lots of info in there . It explains everything in there better than I can .Lol.

I may have to do a build thread sometime.