Electrical Question

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are there any electrical experts on here?
I have a question on grounding my breaker panel on my off grid power system.
The panel on the right is going to be power into the inverter from the generator. The one on the left is power going to my house and pole barn . IMG_20181231_182356028.jpg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe code calls for 2 ground rods with a minumum of 6 feet between them. Connect both of them via continuous copper ground wire to your main panel. You can bug off the main panel with a piece of the same copper ground wire to your other panel.
Not exactly sure on your application but your 2nd panel may fall under a sub panel. Meaning you must keep neutrals and grounds separate.
Hope this helps some. Lol

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Basically both would be main panels , I think .
The only purpose of the first panel is to power the charger in the inverter .
But when the generator is running it charges the batteries and bypasses the inverter to power everything.
The charger is built in the inverter btw .
If that's not to confusing.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe code calls for 2 ground rods with a minumum of 6 feet between them. Connect both of them via continuous copper ground wire to your main panel. You can bug off the main panel with a piece of the same copper ground wire to your other panel.
Not exactly sure on your application but your 2nd panel may fall under a sub panel. Meaning you must keep neutrals and grounds separate.

You took the words right out of my mouth, pretty much word for word! Are you an electrician by trade?

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I work for an electrician, but as a helper. Lol
How bout you sir?

Yes I am. I served a 5 year apprenticeship with
IBEW local 5 out of Pittsburgh PA. That local is commercial and industrial electrician. I worked at coal fired power plants, schools, prisons and hospitals. After my first year working as a journeyman after my 5 year apprenticeship work got terrible and I went to work for Norfolk Southern Railroad as an electrician. That was another 3 year apprenticeship.
For the bulk of my career at the railroad I worked on rebuilding locomotives. We would strip them down to the frame and rebuild them back up with a new high voltage cabinet, wiring and conduit. But we would rebuild the engine, air compressor and alternator in a different area of the shop. Once we got the process going we would be getting a newly rebuilt locomotive out the door ever 4 days.
I bid another job within the shop and now I am working in the electric shop rewinding electric motors and armature's.

Here's a snapshot of a frame that we just out a new cab and electrical cabinet on.
20140722_142604.jpg

Here is a rebuild all finished and it's being flown to a set of truck with traction motors that were rebuilt at out shop.

20150424_093504.jpg

Here's what I do now. This is an auxiliary generator for a GE locomotive. It is finished and ready to be impregnated with varnish. I wind about 12 different motors and motor components.

20180511_122956.jpg

20180511_122742.jpg

Sorry for being so long winded! I just thought that I'd share and everyone like pictures!

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. Very different electrical work. Good for you.
I work with a friend. If we ever meet up I'll fill you in. We do small commercial buildings and mostly residential. Don't make a lot, but it sure is steady. We turn some work away.

And Angelo is correct! Ball busting about 110 percent of the time. Awesome bunch of guys on here. Sometimes things get taken out of context when in text form. Once you get to meet and know guys at GTGs it is much more understandable.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple old sayings,righty tighty ,lefty loosesy .Tight is tight too tight is broken .---and ground is ground the world around . Yes as matter of fact I am .Navy time 4 years as a submarine sonar technician ,20 years as a journeyman inside wireman,local #32 Lima Ohio .29 years journey man industrial electrician ,Lima engine plant Ford Motor Company

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Being that the panels are less than 6' apart, wouldn't you want a common ground because of the possible difference in potential?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Being that the panels are less than 6' apart, wouldn't you want a common ground because of the possible difference in potential?
I am not totally sure. I was just giving a code correct safe response. Lol

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finally talked to the guy that hooks these systems up . He told me to run a individual ground from each nuetral bar on each panel . And one from the inverter, which I already have . At least that's the way I understood him .

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have ground rods already?