Can't clear error on Generac standby unit

ggraziano

Active OPE Member
Local time
8:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a 2 year-old 22KW Generac Guardian standby generator with a 200A Transfer switch. We had a power outage 2 nights ago at 4AM. The unit kicked in, ran for an hour, and quit. Power had been restored (thankfully!) by about 7:30 AM. The unit was showing "charger missing A/C" error. Some research suggested that the T1 fuse on the transfer switch panel had been blown. I replaced that fuse yesterday, and the generator's display is now showing an overload error. It says to push Off and Enter to clear the error. When I do so I get: "remove load/error 2100." It seems to me, a total novice at this stuff, that there is no load as power has been restored to the house and therefore there isn't any demand on the unit. It's the weekend, and the nearest approved Generac repair person is more than an hour away. What am I not understanding here, and is there something else I should try to restart the system?

Last edited:

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have power (Land Line) Is it possible the auto start circuit is sensing something? Even a neutral or ground connection an become an issue but I am less qualified than a Novice as I don't even have a manual to look at. Be careful with tiebreakers you don't want the Black Magic Smoke to get out.

ggraziano

Active OPE Member
Local time
8:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our Generac is finally up and running again after a month and a half. It was the control module that failed. The dealer who came the 45 miles to install the new module told us they had had quite a run of bad ones lately. He said they try to keep 4 or 5 in stock at all; times, but lately had been cleaned out and waiting on their own reorder when our claim came in. They received the part yesterday, and were out here this afternoon to install it. They were friendly, thorough pros.

My advice to anyone with a Generac under warranty is get a certified repair person on it as soon as you can. Their claims process is very rule-bound and not exceptionally fast. They won’t even speak to you about a warranty repair unless you provide them with a dealer number. Aside from that, they did eventually come through before we had another power failure. Thanks to all for comments and advice. It’s good to have a place to vent!