Echo Weed Whacker Breaking off At Cutter Head

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having probs getting both ends of the cutting line to eject from the head. Most of the Time I have to take the head apart and reload the line. Invariably, one end of the line breaks. I'm using some Echo cutting line, supposedly diamond shaped or some crap like that, and it seems to weld itself to another coil of line on the spool.
Does line get too old? Do any of you guys use oil to lube the line before it goes on the machine? Was thinking a light oil like mineral oil, or maybe a bit of synthetic motor oil.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grass packed in above the head creating excess heat? Mine doesn’t get hot enough there to melt anything

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What head is on your trimmer?

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a Speed Feed. The aftermarket piece of crap that is supposed to make it easier to load the line.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had this problem with some Oregon line I have. I'll have to check what kind exactly. I think it's like how when a ratchet strap breaks it actually melts from friction where it snaps. I would love to know what line people have success with because this is pretty annoying. I will say that the red line that came in my new m18 string trimmer was pretty decent. I didn't have any problems feeding and it cut pretty well I thought, though I don't have a ton to compare it with.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try spraying a little silicone spray on the inside of that head. I've always had good luck with Rotary Vortex line. I don't like the Echo black diamond. What you can do to salvage what line you have, is to soak it overnight in some water. It'll limber it up some where it won't be so brittle.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a Speed Feed. The aftermarket piece of crap that is supposed to make it easier to load the line.
Open it up and either remove the 2 eyelets (metal horse shoe shape) and check them for casting flash aka burrs. They are a bit hard to file off due to the rounded shape but some sandpaper will likely solve your problem. Been there...done that. You won't have this issue with OEM Diatop Speedfeed heads but absolutely will with the Chinese AM ones at 20% of the price.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or just replace the eyelets from your old OEM Speedfeed.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Project farm on YouTube does some great comparison vids on trimmer line. I switched because of his vids. Can't remember what the brand is and it's too far to get to the garage tonight lol. I've had the Echo line weld itself in more than one trimmer. I gave it away. Shakespeare ugly line is pretty good stuff.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never had much luck with the fancy shaped lines. Jamming and welding. I have an echo speed feed and i use good quality round line and works fine