Echo PB500-H stalls out

IMZvonko

New OPE Member
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello,

Brand new to this forum. Stuck on fixing an Echo Leaf Blower (PB500-H).

Blower is 10 years old. Must admit I haven't done much maintenance on it over the years, but it ran great. This year it began stalling out after 5-10 min of running fine.

Changed the air filter, fuel filter, spark plug and carburetor. Cleaned the spark control screen (might not be using the right name). The only other thing that I haven't been able to do is check for obstructions in the muffler. I removed the screw that holds the muffler in and expected to be able to just pull off the muffler. Nope!

I even tried using a flat rigid metal piece to pry the muffler loose, but couldn't loosen it. I didn't apply too much pressure because I was afraid I'd break something.

So my questions are:
  1. How do I get the muffler off?
  2. If the muffler is clean, what else should I try?
Thanks for any help

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
check compression & the fuel tank vent. does it fire right up after it stalls?

IMZvonko

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for responding, Rob.

Compression? Not sure what that is and how to check it. This is the first time I've tried repairing a small engine to this extent so that hopefully explains why I'm asking basic questions.

No, it doesn't start after it stalls. Have to wait 30 minutes or so.

Oh, I got the replacement on Amazon. It said it worked for many models including my model. It looks almost exactly like the old one. The only difference I saw was the "Outer Lever" size. I wasn't sure what it's called and found that name on one of the parts lists online. The new one was bigger so I just swapped it out and put in the lever from the old one.

Another thing I've noticed is that the clear rubber priming bubble isn't pumping in gas to the point where it gets full. I can pump it 20 times and the level of gas in there stays the same. I think that might indicate some kind of leak, but I have no idea how to find it.

Also, do you know how to remove the muffler?

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you would need a compression tester to check the cylinder compression. the primer bulb just circulates fuel thru the carburetor, it wont fill all the way up. The muffler should have more than one screw holding it on, usually 2 sometimes 3 total. The next time you run it, after it shuts off open the fuel cap then retighten & try to start it. If it restarts then the fuel tank vent or fuel cap is clogged.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Moved this over to “Mowers and More”. Will likely see more traffic there.

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,

Brand new to this forum. Stuck on fixing an Echo Leaf Blower (PB500-H).

Blower is 10 years old. Must admit I haven't done much maintenance on it over the years, but it ran great. This year it began stalling out after 5-10 min of running fine.

Changed the air filter, fuel filter, spark plug and carburetor. Cleaned the spark control screen (might not be using the right name). The only other thing that I haven't been able to do is check for obstructions in the muffler. I removed the screw that holds the muffler in and expected to be able to just pull off the muffler. Nope!

I even tried using a flat rigid metal piece to pry the muffler loose, but couldn't loosen it. I didn't apply too much pressure because I was afraid I'd break something.

So my questions are:
  1. How do I get the muffler off?
  2. If the muffler is clean, what else should I try?
Thanks for any help
Could be the ignition coil . I had a stihl sg17 mistblower do exactly what you are describing and the coil would cut out when it got hot and come back on line when it cooled off.