sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
5:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I just bought my first dolmar. 7910 off a feller on this site. It’s gonna need a piston. There ain’t snit for pistons available. What’s everyone using?
Or does anyone have one they’d like to sail?
I’m excited to see what all the fuss is about with these saws.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I just bought my first dolmar. 7910 off a feller on this site. It’s gonna need a piston. There ain’t snit for pistons available. What’s everyone using?
I know they aren’t very popular on here, but I put probably 50 tanks through my ported 7900 with a Golf piston in it. They are quite similar to OEM, but I would use better circlips than what any of the Chinese or Taiwan pistons come with

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'll send you a few pics of one I have

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for everyone’s recommendations. @mettee helped me out with a nice used one.
Watch around, I’ll post some build pictures.
What’s everyone find for stock squish and base gasket delete.

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for everyone’s recommendations. @mettee helped me out with a nice used one.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I was too tight with a bgd. Around .010 or .011.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been .010” - .013” at the outer edge on all of them without gasket

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So to follow up on my Dolmar build. The piston that @mettee supplied me cleaned up nice with a little 400grit paper. Smoothed right out. The cylinder did have a lot of transfer but that also cleaned up nicely. Just a lot more work involved.
Why I'm here again, I checked and double checked and I was getting around .040-.045 of squish with the base gasket. Without base gasket I was getting around .028. Multiple angles, multiple test. I was expecting there to be much less. It's a mahle cylinder with three +'s. Was there potentially work done to this cylinder? Or am I missing something else? Does anyone have any pictures of a stock 7910 cylinder? I cleaned up and polished the lowers, slightly widened the exhaust, and cleaned up the bevels as well. It looks like the flanges of inside of the lowers had funny sweeps cut into it for flow from the bottom end. But looked factory. Just looking to compare at this point. I motosealed and clamped on the top end last night so regardless I'm going to see how it runs as is.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a OEM NIB NOS PS-7900 P&C kit stashed away.
Would pictures of that one help.

I have no 7910 P&C, neither used nor new.

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a OEM NIB NOS PS-7900 P&C kit stashed away.
Would pictures of that one help.

I have no 7910 P&C, neither used nor new.

I wouldn't mind having a peak if it's easy to un-stash. if it's a pain, then I wouldn't bother. Thank you for offering regardless of what direction you so choose.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So to follow up on my Dolmar build. The piston that @mettee supplied me cleaned up nice with a little 400grit paper. Smoothed right out. The cylinder did have a lot of transfer but that also cleaned up nicely. Just a lot more work involved.
Why I'm here again, I checked and double checked and I was getting around .040-.045 of squish with the base gasket. Without base gasket I was getting around .028. Multiple angles, multiple test. I was expecting there to be much less. It's a mahle cylinder with three +'s. Was there potentially work done to this cylinder? Or am I missing something else? Does anyone have any pictures of a stock 7910 cylinder? I cleaned up and polished the lowers, slightly widened the exhaust, and cleaned up the bevels as well. It looks like the flanges of inside of the lowers had funny sweeps cut into it for flow from the bottom end. But looked factory. Just looking to compare at this point. I motosealed and clamped on the top end last night so regardless I'm going to see how it runs as is.

Try measuring with 4 pieces of solder and continue to turn it over until the solder no longer creates resistance. Measure each one and keep them in the same position so you can know each position.

If there is resistance still you are not measuring the real squish

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did that. Even cut some small chunks of solder and held them in place with grease along the perimeter of the piston and reinstalled the cylinder. Those are where my measurements came from.