Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those are still my favorite dogs. Gotta cough up the money one day and get a set.

Interesting how these saws seem to change color with lighting. They look red outdoors and orange indoors. :roto2nuse:
US style 1 spikes are NLA! :(
Maybe someone has NOS or good used ones and is willing to let them go?!
I like the US style 1 more than US style 2, I plan of copying a set into stainless steel - one day.

Yes, different lighting makes the plastics change color from almost flat orange all the way to glossy red - interesting and cool.

Let me know when You have enough of my pictures!
I am browsing my picture collection and just got to the end of 2015., which is also why my last years PS-7300/7310 additions haven't been posted yet. :)

Last edited:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
3:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
US style 1 spikes are NLA! :(
Maybe someone has NOS or good used ones and is willing to let them go?!
I like the US style 1 more than US style 2, I plan of copying a set into stainless steel - one day.

Yes, different lighting makes the plastics change color from almost flat orange all the way to glossy red - interesting and cool.

Let me know when You have enough of my pictures!
I am browsing my picture collection and just got to the end of 2015., which is also why my last years PS-7300/7310 additions haven't been posted yet. :)

A man that's truly in love with his saws... ^^^^^^^ :headbang:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I STAND CORRECTED ! ! !

@AlfA01

The US style 1 spike set is still in stock, just got an updated part number, ~15Euro a piece/~30Euro a set!
Had I known earlier I'd have included a set to my last weeks purchase.

Well, one can't keep track of everything.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Available OEM spikes

From left to right, ruler is metric, Dolmar part numbers:
- outer EU style , part # 957 250 060
- inner EU style , part # 038 250 020 / updated to part # 038 250 021
- outer US style 1 , part # 038 250 210 / updated to part # 038 250 212
- inner US style 1 , part # 038 250 200 / updated to part # 038 250 202
- outer US style 2 , part # 038 250 230 / updated to part # 038 250 232
- inner US style 2 , part # 038 250 221 / updated to part # 038 250 222

DSC03552.JPG

There is one more US style spike set, looks like the US style 2 but features shorter teeth!
I am uncertain as to whether they are still available nor do I know their part numbers.
Maybe someone can shed light on this.
@fordf150 , @166 , @ajschainsaws

EDITED due to further updated part numbers!
Also, the US style 1 spikes might be out of stock after all - it is kinda hard to follow availability when the shop redirects searches automatically to updated part numbers!

Last edited:

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer an unlimited coil, simply like the option to check tune while not in the cut.
Not here to debate that.

A while back I played around fitting up alternative coils on my Smurf 84/6401, the 272 coil works fine but I was looking for something that would be a direct swap.
No such luck but did find a couple readily available types I had on hand that mounted with very little modification and with no need to swap out to the dolmar core.

First was from an 025, a bunch of the small stihls like 018's also use this or similar, only needed a notch filed in next to the original outside mounting hole to fit up.

IMG_2032.JPG

The plug wire is located in a good useable spot but unfortunately is permanently affixed in place. Not difficult to dig the wires insulation out from around the conductor, then just stuff the dolmar wire into the cavity. The 025 wire goes almost all the way to the bottom of the coil, so theres plenty of depth for a solid connection.
Or just graft the two wires together.

I wasn't leaving this coil in permanently so just to try it out, put the dolmar wire in the spark plug boot and was able to route the 025 coil wire around and about so to still allow the starter cover to fit over it all.

Another somewhat less common coil that fits up is one from a bg55/85 blower, still readily available used on feepay or as aftermarket for about $14. I found a used one for $9 that I got for a blower and happened to be sitting on the bench while I had the Smurf apart.
A little bit of elongating of the lower mounting hole was about all it took to get a decent fit. Small chain file is about the right size for this task.

IMG_2056.JPG

Same issue with the non removable plug wire unfortunately, still in a good location though.
Timed it the same way as the 025 and again ran fine. Much shorter plug wire so easier than the 025 coil to route without cutting the wire/boot off.

You do still need to grind/file the key off the flywheel, the timing is pretty far off from the original coil, seems dolmar has their own scheme that deviates from typical convention.

Somewhere here or over on AS I ran across a nice technical drawing sort of pic that showed an easy way to time a 272 coil conversion and worked fine here on the first try.
No degree wheel or other timing method needed.
Saw would tune to 14.3k with either coil no problem.

With piston at tdc, the trailing edge of the flywheel magnet block gets lined up with the trailing edge of the leading coil leg as can be seen in the bg55 coil pic.
Sooner or later when I get around to modding the saw I'll play around with moving the timing a bit.

Greg Newman

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember