Cylinder spark plug repair - timeserts

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
3:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found an m5 kit on ebay.$30. Search kent moore thread repair. Gm uses these apparently too

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

shawn022

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Did anyone ever figure out what works? So the triton inserts have a larger OD than the regular 14mm plug kits? I would like to get a timesert kit but may go a less expensive route

shawn022

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 14mm X1.25 Sti tap. If it works with timesert I could possibly just get the countersink and install tool. Surely less $ than the full kit. And I drive fords so the triton kit will probably be needed sometime. Just trying to confirm that it won't work on small engine stuff.
I've looked online and there's no real definitive answers I could find. Timesert is closed until the 3rd so I may wait and just ask them.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Jughead I've used those inserts a ton at my old machine builder job they are great. Just if you want it to never come out you must wire wheel the loctite stuff on them and out on something permanent and high temp.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Jughead I've used those inserts a ton at my old machine builder job they are great. Just if you want it to never come out you must wire wheel the loctite stuff on them and out on something permanent and high temp.
alrighty ill keep that in mind.i actually used copper rtv and smacked the crap out of them to make sure those teeth bind in good.so far so good no returns

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did anyone ever figure out what works? So the triton inserts have a larger OD than the regular 14mm plug kits? I would like to get a timesert kit but may go a less expensive route
There were too many different parts between the Triton timesert kit and the short timesert kit. From my recollection I tried the timesert triton kit and it cuts a hole to large in diameter for the small inserts to work. So you have to get the tap and couterbore for the smaller insert style. Thus it makes more sense to just buy the kit...

I have just paid Shaun to weld and recut my threads so far... Haven't moved into a timesert kit for chainsaw cylinders yet.

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm cheap.
2 china taps, 18 x 1.5, 14 x 1.25, 18mm plug [ngk ab-6], total cost bout $25. made insert out of 18mm plug, tapped out for 14. hi heat Loctite.
sfsg. in s797.
can get pic, next time plug's out.

edit: IF it blows out, I can weld it.
not only cheap, but lazy, too.