High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Cylinder salvageable or trash it?

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
MS460 cylinder, I can feel feel the gouge with my fingernail. Other than that I guess the title says it all...

20180219_131042.jpg 20180219_131042.jpg 20180219_131105.jpg 20180219_131302.jpg 20180219_131347.jpg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For your own saw, yes. I wouldnt sell to anyone though.

Id hit that deep gouge with a diamond ball, just to take the high edges off. Will get slight reduction in compression, but should be fine.

What's up on the left side of the ex port as viewed?

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For your own saw, yes. I wouldnt sell to anyone though.

Id hit that deep gouge with a diamond ball, just to take the high edges off. Will get slight reduction in compression, but should be fine.

What's up on the left side of the ex port as viewed?

Good catch, I hadn't even noticed that, I had been more concerned with the gouge. Upon further inspection it looks like a chunk of plating missing. There also looks like another small hole in the plating further over. I'll try to get a better pic.

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here are a couple more pics. And yes this would be for a personal saw, it will not be sold. Trying to build my first ms460, a buddy of mine found it in a pawn shop for $50. It needs crank bearings, seals, and of course a top end.

20180322_104509.jpg 20180322_104642.jpg

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So no worries about the plating missing by the exhaust port?

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If there is room to widen the exhaust port to remove the damage and make it equal on both sides id do that first before running it with the plating flaking off. As far as the groove by the port it will loose some compression but likely will run just fine still. I would never sell one like that but it is servicable for firewood use and wouldnt count on it for my living.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If there is room to widen the exhaust port to remove the damage and make it equal on both sides id do that first before running it with the plating flaking off. As far as the groove by the port it will loose some compression but likely will run just fine still. I would never sell one like that but it is servicable for firewood use and wouldnt count on it for my living.

I'd agree with widening the port depending on skirt width, this would eliminate a future failure, the groove is not that bad as long as there is about 3/8" Plus to the top that is good, it will make compression and run good. Definitely run a diamond ball burr on that groove as previously mentioned, so as not to scuff the piston.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
11:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It looks like it was honed aggressively to fix the original meltdown and took some plating at the one side of the port. The exhaust could be widened a tad bit and that spot would be pretty much incorporated into the bevel. Those little grooves won't be noticeable no matter how you run it.
As long as what caused the failure has been fixed this thing should run as long as you need it to.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy talked me into fixing this one with the diamond ball burr, it was self evident as to why it was needed soon after I started on it. This cylinder was not easily replaced and the saw runs ok, with a new piston and ring, does smoke a little though. Lol
IMG_20161004_090141_525.jpg

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
11:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Randy talked me into fixing this one with the diamond ball burr, it was self evident as to why it was needed soon after I started on it. This cylinder was not easily replaced and the saw runs ok, with a new piston and ring, does smoke a little though. Lol
View attachment 117225
Those aren't grooves, they're finger ports. :D

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely get a diamond ball burr to smooth things up a bit and see if I can widen the port out a bit.

It looks like it was honed aggressively to fix the original meltdown and took some plating at the one side of the port. The exhaust could be widened a tad bit and that spot would be pretty much incorporated into the bevel. Those little grooves won't be noticeable no matter how you run it.
As long as what caused the failure has been fixed this thing should run as long as you need it to.

This jug came off a saw at work that got a new p/c, yes I had to clean up a good bit of transer off of it. I'm trying to salvage it for my saw because I couldn't save the original one. This saw will be getting a full rebuild. I don't really NEED a saw this big so it's really just a play saw. Might be a good jug to learn to do a little porting. :)

How about the tiny spec of plating missing about 2mm to the left of the exhaust port. Can barely see it but I can feel it with a pic. Should I worry about that or just smooth it with a diamond ball too.

Last edited:

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What size diamond ball burr should I look for?

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just a little guy. Maybe 1/8"

The crappy little China kits for 10 bucks on eBay have one in them.