2100 cylinder bolt issue

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got a decent looking 2100 that I am trying to restore. Previous owner broke a Allen head flush in the cylinder bolt. The broken head is moving but will not come out with a magnet or pick. Any tricks to this? I have tried welding a bolt to the broken head so I could put a slide hammer on it but the wire welder just cant get it to stick. cobalt drill bits will not drill it out, my guess is because the broken head is moving in the bolt...

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
1:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flip it upside down and whack the underside of the saw with a rubber mallet or deadblow and see if it'll fall out. It works better if someone can hold the saw while another guy whacks it, as opposed to letting it rest on a bench upside down.

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was confused but now I think I got it. They broke the head of an Allen wrench off in the head of the Allen cap cylinder screw. Which of the four screws was it - front left, front right, rear left, rear right? If it has a Kolbenschmidt cylinder, that bottom fin is really in the way. Would removing that fin corner help with options?

Stronger magnet?
Heat the head with a torch and then use the magnet? But don't heat the magnet - it will lose magnetism.
With a Dremel and carbide bit, cut a groove in the side of the screw head and try to remove it with a punch.

Last edited:

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ball head Allen wrench? Hmmm. Dremel trick did it for me.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do not, I repeat NOT do the whacking trick on the tank if it's still on, you will inevitably cause a seam leak and have more problems than you started with as it is pretty much unrepairable.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Strange. Usually a hex-head wrench will not snap, but instead it will strip the hexagonal head that cannot take the same torque that a Torx head machine screw can withstand. I also would like to see a Pic.

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Strange. Usually a hex-head wrench will not snap, but instead it will strip the hexagonal head that cannot take the same torque that a Torx head machine screw can withstand. I also would like to see a Pic.
Ball head Allen wrench? Hmmm.
I'll second that guess that it was ball allen. The only allen style I've ever seen snap off a quality tool.

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes someone broke the head off on the bolt. it was loose but I could not get it out. Could not weld to it because the broken piece was loose and could not get it grounded good. The plating was bad on the cylinder so I had to break it off. Not a fun job... It is off and new cylinder installed...