High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Compression tester

SteveinUT

Have gun - will travel
Local time
3:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a good gauge? I have a HF that must have gone TU, because it won't read higher than 30 pounds on two running saws that have solid compression. So, I need to replace it, and I'd rather buy a decent one that will last. Unfortunately, I HAD a nice Matco set that I made the mistake of letting a guy borrow and never got it back. But, I don't know if I want to drop that kind of coin again on a gauge that will mostly be used for saws.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
5:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Make sure you replace the schrader valve before you pronounce your comp tester dead. Replace its the white tipped schraders. Even the snap on ones need replacing from time to time. There's a lot of crud coming from compression chambers that can foul up a little valve.

ny15

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Snap On that I just replaced the valve on and a new OTC. You can buy the OTC for $60 on eBay, I think I paid $200 for the snap on a few years ago

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Buy a good one, the information that you get doing a compression test is important so I would go for accuracy. I use a Snap on and I have a Matco and both are good and read close to one another. I bought the Matco off of ebay.

radio

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, when I signed up for the Shop Your Way program I got a surprise $10 discount when I went to checkout.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
4:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've used the same cheap one for 10 years, never replaced the Schrader valve either.

I've had several but they all read 5 lbs of each other so I sold all but one.

Compression reading is alot how you do it,check a saw three times in a row and it will change. You can get hung up on tester which is why I rarely check a saw anymore.

Get one around 220 or more they get hard to test accurately.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Lisle and it's done me well. If I were to buy a new one to replace this it'd be a OTC.

I had a cheap one that failed on my before, along with one lisle that they replaced. A OTC can be had for close to the same money as a lisle

I'm with JMS, I don't get to hung up on compression readings. I mainly use mine when looking at a saw and if the seller doesn't want me to pull the muffler for some reason.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a mityvac which seems to read a little high,bought a actron from autozone that reads way low and invested in the craftsman like the one in the link above and still reads low.for the actron its due to the adapters and for the craftsman its due to the hose extentions.
I like the mityvac one but the needle on the gauge is off a little from the factory.i believe i'll switch the gauge from the actron to the mityvac hose to see if the readings are any different.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Just picked up the otc 5606 kit. Really like it, nice large gauge, lots of different adaptors plus a spar parts kit for 59$. The hose is really long, but much easier to get in a comfortable position while cranking a saw.
With the long hose it was 20-25 pulls to get a full reading