Cigars what you smoking.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Clevelander’s are/were a great deal over Christmas at $235, now they are $279 still not a bad deal (imo) for a partial climate controlled humidor ( cooling only ) that could hold 250 cigars if really loaded up. 125 - 150 is more realistic at least for me. I believe they are still free shipping also, like I said before my only beef with them is the door has to open 180* to get the trays out.

I missed out on 2 scratch/dent 840’s last fall on flea bay, I lost signal on my phone & couldn’t bid, I shouldn’t of waited until the last minute to bid. They went for $500 each.

Thanks for all the details and letting me pick your brain a bit.

I think probably most humidors are over rated in terms of capacity. Which is why I was curious how close it was. It looks like they got rid of the dividers in the drawers, like on Bryan's video. That's good. I also like that the door doesn't have to be 180 degrees to be able to pull out the shelves. These Newair's seem to be pretty nice.

I see they have a 1500 version, for not much more money. I'm getting close to outgrowing my second foot locker already and need to come up with something.

I do like how this has the humidity system as part of the humidor. I was alway wanting to go with a cabinet, so I didn't need electricity and a guy could do it without, but that would take quite a bit of beads I reckon.

Hmmmmm, lots to ponder.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for all the details and letting me pick your brain a bit.

I think probably most humidors are over rated in terms of capacity. Which is why I was curious how close it was. It looks like they got rid of the dividers in the drawers, like on Bryan's video. That's good. I also like that the door doesn't have to be 180 degrees to be able to pull out the shelves. These Newair's seem to be pretty nice.

I see they have a 1500 version, for not much more money. I'm getting close to outgrowing my second foot locker already and need to come up with something.

I do like how this has the humidity system as part of the humidor. I was alway wanting to go with a cabinet, so I didn't need electricity and a guy could do it without, but that would take quite a bit of beads I reckon.

Hmmmmm, lots to ponder.

There are better prices than the NewAir site on new units, mine is a reconditioned unit. I see they must have sold out, the NA site doesn’t list them anymore.

I imagine you would have to use at least 3# of beads for a 1500 cap. I considered using beads but figured I would lose storage space. I decided on the electrics just for a more consistent temp range. I am not as concerned about the heating aspect on the 840. I really wanted the cooling capability of the Clevelander’s & Newair, with the wood stove temps are usually mid 70’s in the winter & occasionally upper 70’s - low 80’s in the summer.

I am curious to see how often I have to fill the reservoir on mine.

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are ever in SW IA let me know.

I would be happy to mail some out you a bundle of stogies if you want.
Very Kind, I’m good on Cigars. I used to go to Iowa all the time with My Family. I have a Good Friend from the Army that lives in Winterset, John Wayne’s Birthplace. Beautiful Country! I helped him build His House and later on did Tree Work for him. Good times for sure! I call Him every year on His Birthday and talk about visiting some day again. We’ll see.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watch your humidity very close with those things running fellas. Not sure why ,mine went haywire with the cooler running. I have unplugged since

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
913C8D83-DB40-4084-84A4-243FC647DF30.jpeg That cloud hopper yesterday was wicked good so I scrounged around and found another warped
This is a la colmen or Colmana

found the cloud hopper was best in a 5/48 format. I think they offer a skinnier one that I thought was good but not early as good as the 5-48.
Have high expectations for these la Colmana so hope they’re good. Just got back home here and think ima chill out the rest of the day.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watch your humidity very close with those things running fellas. Not sure why ,mine went haywire with the cooler running. I have unplugged since

I have at least 2 hygrometers in my Clevelander’s & I have put 2 in the Newair also.

I am checking it regularly, I will give it a week to acclimate & see if it stays consistent.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are better prices than the NewAir site on new units, mine is a reconditioned unit. I see they must have sold out, the NA site doesn’t list them anymore.

I imagine you would have to use at least 3# of beads for a 1500 cap. I considered using beads but figured I would lose storage space. I decided on the electrics just for a more consistent temp range. I am not as concerned about the heating aspect on the 840. I really wanted the cooling capability of the Clevelander’s & Newair, with the wood stove temps are usually mid 70’s in the winter & occasionally upper 70’s - low 80’s in the summer.

I am curious to see how often I have to fill the reservoir on mine.

I looked around and found the 1500 as low as 1600.

I think you're probably spot on, on the amount of beads. 1 lb should be enough in my foot lockers, but, with the trays (air flow issue), I had to add 1/2 lb more beads on top. So, I'd bet you'd have to have a pound per shelf in the NA.

I keep my foot lockers in my bedroom, on the north side of the house, across the house from the wood stove. So in the winter, it stays mid 60's. Summertime though, it gets warmer and may get to mid 70's.

I like things to stay about 65 degrees with 65% humidity.

Keep me informed on how long the water reservoir lasts, before needing refilled. It would be great if that thing lasted at least 2 weeks.

Side note.....I counted my cigars in my one foot locker that has bundles and singles, no boxes and it has 368 cigars in there and I could probably fit another hundred in there. Mostly robusto sizes. It's only advertised for 300. Some say 350. I was surprised there was that many in there and that it holds more than advertised.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have at least 2 hygrometers in my Clevelander’s & I have put 2 in the Newair also.

I am checking it regularly, I will give it a week to acclimate & see if it stays consistent.
I’m not sure why mine did what it did. I keep it at or around 73 degrees inside. Gets warmer in the summer. But I figure I keep other stogies in Tupperware I’m fine with the temp fluctuations.

The problem began in the back of my top shelf where my humidity is usually a bit less. Got a little bit of mold on some non cello cigars. Might have gotten bad if I didn’t catch it. So far unplugged things stay right as the rain.

maybe a little bit of condensation started forming. Not 100 on what happened. My cooler thingy is an Audew but I’ve heard of others having issues. Not sure what brands. I have also heard new air is cream of the crop. No experience with anything except what I’m using

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sooooo found a deal. I’ve never smoked this cigar so I’m a bit of an idiot. However. I know I like Brazilian wrapped smokes. I ordered some.

3CCF11D9-8309-4438-9A90-1143604E1946.png 78$ shipped. No box just 20 loose smokes.

also I checked out the review from Katman (I trust this guy) not our Catman but a different one. I trust our Catman too. Guess if you go by Catman you’re trustable lol. I usually wouldn’t buy blind but Katman gave it a 95. I like the guy because if a cigar is garbage he calls it like he sees it. Haven’t had a cigar he hated that I liked or one he rated that high that wasn’t good.

54 ring is thicker than I like but that’s a good deal on a respected cigar mfg. under 4$ per on a Brazilian wrapped top end smoke is doing pretty good. Figure I love the Brazilian hererra esteli and the blackbird unkind it should fall into that approximate flavor range.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trouble with reviews is a ton of guys reviewing are sponsored by the cigar mfg. soooooo. Who’s gonna say a cigar is sh!t when you’re getting paid to smoke it and say it tastes like salted graham bars with a slight cocoa powder finish. Now cream…….

anyway this guy just buys his own cigars and smokes em

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not sure why mine did what it did. I keep it at or around 73 degrees inside. Gets warmer in the summer. But I figure I keep other stogies in Tupperware I’m fine with the temp fluctuations.

The problem began in the back of my top shelf where my humidity is usually a bit less. Got a little bit of mold on some non cello cigars. Might have gotten bad if I didn’t catch it. So far unplugged things stay right as the rain.

maybe a little bit of condensation started forming. Not 100 on what happened. My cooler thingy is an Audew but I’ve heard of others having issues. Not sure what brands. I have also heard new air is cream of the crop. No experience with anything except what I’m using

Anything electric can go wonky. It's one of the reasons I have stayed clear of them flr as long as I have, but Jim has had good luck and my buddy in SE KS has had good luck too.

My dilemma is, I need to decide if I want capacity, or features. That's what will determine whether I got electric, or just buy a big cabinet.

I do like how efficient these things are. Barely pulling an amp, is pretty dang good.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpg image.jpg
Anything electric can go wonky. It's one of the reasons I have stayed clear of them flr as long as I have, but Jim has had good luck and my buddy in SE KS has had good luck too.

My dilemma is, I need to decide if I want capacity, or features. That's what will determine whether I got electric, or just buy a big cabinet.

I do like how efficient these things are. Barely pulling an amp, is pretty dang good.
Completely understand the dilemma. When I got my audew that was it for buying humidors. Then the cigars sorta outgrew capacity. Something to think about. I love those electric coolers. Definitely. They look nice. Just because I unplugged mine doesn’t mean I dislike them in any way. They’re great.

image.jpg
this is everything you’d need to make any type of container cool. I bought two of these to go in my big wine cooler. Turns out I didn’t need them. I was going to use those and a cigar oasis type of humidifier with fans all plugged into inkbird controllers. However. Just bricking it with boveda has been working well. So there’s something to consider if you could find a not working wine fridge. You know to save money n stuff

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Basically saying if you can find a large wine cooler you can build a large cabinet for a fraction of buying new. I would be a few hundred dollars into mine. It’s a 75 bottle wine cooler. You’d need one thermoelectric cooler ( I bought 2 for extra). An inkbird 40 ish bucks. And humidity of choice. I liked the cigar oasis when I last looked into one. You could honestly build that too. Just need a different inkbird. So even with 2 controllers. You’d be well under budget on a respectable climate controlled large electric cooler. Maybe best of both worlds type of setup

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Example 241741B5-F85C-44D7-9BF7-5EBB7966058B.pngI really like this one. You could be up and running for under 200$ and it would hold a ton of smokes. And look nice. This is the direction I went. The dual stage on this would be nice because with tall cabinets you tend to be less humid at the top.
This is why I was gonna install fans. You’d not need fans with two smaller compartments.

personally I’d leave the stainless shelves Add cigar boxes to get your cedar. Just some other options to look into.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I follow ya..............keep the thoughts coming. I take awhile to make decisions nowadays. So, my mind will change a dozen times before I make my final decision. Lol

I did see that last night on a video, may have been the one Jim linked I think, about the compressor.

I know this, whatever route I go, I don't want to have to mess with it again for awhile. I'd rather go way big, than go small, just to need something in another 3 months. Basically, I want to have as few of setups as possible, to keep things as simple as possible.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I try to shuffle the shelves in my Clevelander’s every couple weeks. I will be cable to shuffle the top 3 drawers in the NA also.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I try to shuffle the shelves in my Clevelander’s every couple weeks. I will be cable to shuffle the top 3 drawers in the NA also.
I was initially doing the same but with boveda it’ll hold the top to bottom on the button. I’m sure beads will too. The trouble with the super tall cabinets is I either need more boveda or beads if I switch or you’ll see around 5 points of difference too to bottom. But to be fair I don’t have as much boveda as is recommended inside currently. Not sure why I don’t as I have plenty around here lol

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was initially doing the same but with boveda it’ll hold the top to bottom on the button. I’m sure beads will too. The trouble with the super tall cabinets is I either need more boveda or beads if I switch or you’ll see around 5 points of difference too to bottom. But to be fair I don’t have as much boveda as is recommended inside currently. Not sure why I don’t as I have plenty around here lol

I've seen guys put computer fans in the tall cabinets to move the air. Have you tried that?

I keep trying to come up with a way, to do the one or the other, beads, or electric humidifiers (which I've never used personally). Makes me wonder if on a tall cabinet, where the humidifier is usually in the bottom, how well it would work to put a pound or 2 of beads on the top shelf. How hard would it be to get the beads and the humidifier "in sync", so to speak. Maybe that with a small fan?