Chipper/shredder gasket replacement question

treemuel

OPE Member
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm trying to replace the crankcase gasket on a DEK Brush Master chipper/shredder. It's got a Honda 270cc engine on it. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the right tool to remove the clutch. I'm guessing it comes off with a pulley/gear puller, but I really don't know and would like some input before I go out and buy one just to find it's not what I needed. I've removed everything else off the end of the crankshaft so far. I'm not seeing any kind of set screw on the back of the clutch assembly, so I assume it's just pressed on tightly...?
See photos for details. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!
IMG_2383.jpegIMG_2384.jpeg

Dave Sr.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks to me like you could use just a regular 3 jaw gear puller. If the jaws are small enough then you should be able to hook them right in where the springs are. The puller should have a cone on the end of the screw that doesn't turn when you turn the screw to avoid damaging the end of the crank. If it doesn't move with a reasonable amount of force then rap the end of the screw with a hammer. At least this is what I would try.

treemuel

OPE Member
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks to me like you could use just a regular 3 jaw gear puller. If the jaws are small enough then you should be able to hook them right in where the springs are. The puller should have a cone on the end of the screw that doesn't turn when you turn the screw to avoid damaging the end of the crank. If it doesn't move with a reasonable amount of force then rap the end of the screw with a hammer. At least this is what I would try.
Thanks for the input! I'll give it a try.