Charter Arms Pathfinder .22 8 shot on the way

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think most of the problems noticed by afficionados would go unnoticed by the average person buying a gun. Especially nowadays, when so many are being bought by people who otherwise have no interest in them. Working at my side job shop, I am worried that many of them don't even know which end is dangerous much less what a cylinder throat is.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think most of the problems noticed by afficionados would go unnoticed by the average person buying a gun. Especially nowadays, when so many are being bought by people who otherwise have no interest in them. Working at my side job shop, I am worried that many of them don't even know which end is dangerous much less what a cylinder throat is.
I totally agree with your statements. You're spot on.
Maybe the manufacturers need to have different grades of guns.

Economy grade-safe to shoot.
Premium grade- 100% of the parts are properly fitted and parts meet optimal dimensional specs.

I don't think I'm the only guy out there who would pay an additional 10%-30% for a gun that was assembled with properly dimensioned parts and attention to detail.
It would piss me off to pay extra for what should be the standard, but I'd do it.
The manufacturers wouldn't need to build a lot of them.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cheap guns today are way better than cheap guns of yesterday. The $120.00 Rough Riders and Rossi .22 rifles we sell are very functional guns for how little they cost. In fact we have lots of folks who come in for a second or third one.

Yes, I agree that manufacturers need to put more care into the sort of guns that are likely to be purchased by aficionados. Revolvers and lever action rifles come to mind.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, Charter called and said the Pathfinder is fixed and heading back to the Bluegrass. Should be delivered tomorrow, hopefully I can sneak out for a test drive after work.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, the Little Brown Santa Claus dropped off the Pathfinder last night. The tech left a surprisingly detailed report stating that they replaced the cylinder and everything else checked out. It is still an 8 shot so I guess they are keeping that design going. Hopefully I can give it a test drive when I get home from work.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took the Pathfinder for a test drive today. It fired and functioned 100%. The bulge near the rim is still there but alot less than it was. It seems to all be coming from the area where the extractor contacts the shell. I suppose that if they reduced the clearance too much in this area the cylinder could bind. The bulges remind me of the smiley face bulges on cases fired by older Glocks and other pistols with an unsupported area of the chamber. If it never gets any worse then I suppose it is nothing to worry about.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Taurus 856 that is a nice gun but has a really heavy pull. I ordered a Wolff kit for it, should be here soon.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Taurus 856 that is a nice gun but has a really heavy pull. I ordered a Wolff kit for it, should be here soon.
You'll be pleased.
I have them in every Ruger DA revolver I own.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wolff kit showed up today. I'll get into the 856 when I get time.

Took the Pathfinder out again today and it shoots great. One weird thing I discovered. If I open the cylinder, hold back the latch, and cycle the action, it can induce the hand to not retract all the way when the trigger is released. It cycles smoothly when shooting double and single action, no indication of this sort of problem.

Im thinking that the hand needs the ratchet in place to stay in time. My other revolvers dont do this, mebbe its peculiar to the Charter Arms design.