Chainsaw Starter Rope Hard to Pull After Multi-Month Vacation

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This question applies to an Echo and a Stihl 021 saw. If the saw has been sitting for a few mos, it is very hard to pull the rope. Sometimes I have to set it down, step on it, and have the kid pull the cord until I can pull out the rope all the way. Once the cord comes out and retracts easily, usually there's no problem getting it to run Anyone have any insights into why this happens? I'm using 50:1 mix. Thanks for the help.

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This question applies to an Echo and a Stihl 021 saw. If the saw has been sitting for a few mos, it is very hard to pull the rope. Sometimes I have to set it down, step on it, and have the kid pull the cord until I can pull out the rope all the way. Once the cord comes out and retracts easily, usually there's no problem getting it to run Anyone have any insights into why this happens? I'm using 50:1 mix. Thanks for the help.
I try to turn all my unused saws over every now and then to prevent this. Good to get a little lube cycled every now and then. Saws that get stored for long periods get a little mix oil in the plug hole and cord pulled several times. Then I periodically pull cords during the year.
19 runners…takes some time 🤣

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it possible the fuel tank is pressurizing and forcing unburned fuel into the cylinder, fuel evaporates leaving the cylinder full of oil?

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the saw has been sitting for a few mos, it is very hard to pull the rope.
You can always take the spark plug out, give it a quick shot of WD-40, put the plug back in and let it sit for a few minutes giving it a chance for the WD-40 to seep down the side and then try to turn it over and see if that helps.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Curious how no one asked! :thinking:

What 2-Stroke oil are You using in Your fuel mix?
Any chance the oil is gumming up?

Just a thought as I newer encountered issues like the one You described and I own 27 running saws plus several weed whackers, and a tiller, and a mover, and an auger - all 2-Stroke.

Good luck.
Cheers

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Curious how no one asked! :thinking:

What 2-Stroke oil are You using in Your fuel mix?
Any chance the oil is gumming up?

Just a thought as I newer encountered issues like the one You described and I own 27 running saws plus several weed whackers, and a tiller, and a mover, and an auger - all 2-Stroke.

Good luck.
Cheers
Thanks Wilhelm. Using VP Fuels Full Synthetic oil at 50:1 and E-Free gasoline. Seems like it only happens with the chainsaws, and not with my trimmer, lawnboy, or hedge clipper. Just the saws.