Chainsaw life expectancy?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
10:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 372 was probably a ex loggers saw, top cover is banged up and handlebar is crooked from a tree dropped on it. It lives on with a am bb kit. Original bearings, seals and crank as well too I believe. Probably countless hours on it along with the two years on the new top end.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well all i can say is back in 1974 i bort my first saw Stihl 031 AV $231 and all its life its ran 25/1 and the only thing that ever got change in the hole time was 2 carby kits and , 5 plugs , not bad , 43 yrs, that saw got used for every thing and a lot of work
2 years ago it got rebuilt and working again
i would say that answers your question
Peter
This one looked like brandy new when it was found in a trash can i rebuilt the carb new lines two years a firewood saw now still 190 compression.20170108_144548.jpg

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yep 031s are great saws , ive got a soft spot for them , even got a coil, points and condenser put away , ,there hard to find now days
Even oem fuel lines suck probably nos.i bought a new one and it split in two years.
I've just been putting chinese one's in.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A chainsaw is an assembly of parts. Assuming no abuse and correct oil/fuel, the lifetime of a tool is really dictated by the parts availability as parts fail. You gotta be able to replace parts to keep it working, as the whole saw doesn't catastrophically stop working, but one piece of the whole wears out.

Chain wears out - maybe after a season. Rubber fuel line rots - maybe a year or two. Carb gasket kit - maybe every other year. Bearing seals - maybe 5 years. Spark plug- maybe 3 years. Bearings - maybe 5 years. Piston ring - maybe 5 years. Piston - maybe 7-10 years. Big end bearing - maybe 10 years.

Most loggers don't measure saw lifetime by hours but by board feet cut. I've heard that pro saws can get a million board feet before totally worn out.