Ceramic bearings

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
1:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you guys think about ceramic bearings? Any of you make your own or buy them? Are they worth it? Are they a performance gain? Are they more durable or less durable? :icon_popcorn:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did some experimenting, based upon what I was told Tree Sling’r did.

One roadblock I ran into was cost. Ortech wouldn’t sell me ceramic balls in any quantity of under 100. You need silicon nitride, which is the priciest of the bunch, to make hybrid saw bearings.

What made matters worse was that the expansion coefficients were different (variables) between steel and SiN balls. I mic’d the steel balls from 6202, 6203, and the fly side 026 bearing. Nothing was offered in the sizes I came up with. I called Ortech to discuss and they were asshòles extraordinare. So the correct size balls were a guessing game.

I was told Jasha had great durability results, but others did not. The price for experimenting was around $200 and the balls were not returnable. Also, seems the gains aren’t so great, so really race only. Then the lack of durability came into play. I pulled the plug at that point.

One thing is for certain, you better bring your A game for assembly with ceramic bearings. I’d only use the MattyO tool that puts no side load on the bearing. Also, forget about tapping the crank back and forth after case is assembled, you can damage the balls.

I guess the shortcut would be to purchase a hybrid ceramic and disassemble. Mic everything up and make copies. Use their R&D instead of my own. Still not sure it’s all worth it though.

heavy_oil_saw

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not saw application, but used them in down hill mountain bikes. I didn’t feel much difference, and would damage easier than steel balls (as stated above).
Did some asking around and ceramic ain’t all that in the real world on bikes, as stated above, easy to damage and pricey.
If it were a work saw, keep steel IMO, reliable, proven and cheap to replace. If running an all time world record setter, I’d go ceramic, but then you’d be sponsored anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So for high loads steel is better?

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My experience with ceramic bearings was similar to most other people's - I didn't find them practical for a work saw at all and the longevity just isn't there.

A guy is better off buying the best quality standard bearings he can and then going for acceleration and high revs through other means.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used them a couple of times in RC Helicopters, they didn’t hold up well compared to quality steel bearings especially in the motor.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is interesting info, learning a lot. Keep posting away guys.

Tree Sling'r

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve had great results, but it’s one of those things that the effort and time became too much. The biggest plus for me was fuel economy. I got mine from Dean Hylton back in the day. I wouldn’t even know what to order now days.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve installed lots of ceramic bearings on bicycles through the years. It’s worth it if you’re chasing seconds and fractions of them.
Durability isn’t great, though.
Installation isn’t bad, if you have the right tools for the job. When people ask me for my recommendations on high end bearings I always tell them to get high end steel instead of ceramic. I’m not into selling people things they don’t need. Even if we’re making more money.
Most ceramic bearings are hybrids anyways, meaning they’re ceramic balls in steel races. That just means your bearing is only as good as your race. Rant over. Lol