High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Carb recommendations for a 'hot ported', 1977 Poulan 25D?

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
9:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Models or even "specs/things to look-for" would be greatly appreciated, have a '77 poulan 25D restoration project that went as far as "everything-but-carb", and am looking to finally get the carb and finish it (well would be porting it first hence the desire for a larger carb...I do have a slightly larger 25d-type of poulan from early-80's, but no idea how to discern whether its carb is superior or not :p )

FWIW I've never rebuilt a carb or opened one up excepting opening dead ones b4 trashing them, kinda a curiosity thing, if you put me at a table with a carb-kit I would take a LONG time figuring-out everything, I mean I get the function of most of the usual components but when it comes to hands-on experience, or knowledge of specifics, I am very ignorant/lay!

Thanks a ton for suggestions (and thoughts-in-general), this restoration-saw was "put on the back-burner" for ages but, now that I'm setup to port it I'm suddenly interested in resuming&finishing-off the project! :)

MERR6267

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't take my words as anything other than the musings of a guy with no porting experience.

Having had a S25 or 2 open before, I have to imagine that the reed port and small reed opening is a restriction on this unit. Looking at the reed blocks of higher performance 2 strokes it seems that for real performance, you need a lot of size in the reeds, as they only open a small amount, leaving a small curtain area compared to the size of the port. The S25 saws have a really small reed port and a simple steel petal to flap and seal against the body.

I'm not saying that a larger carburetor isn't necessary, but it may not be your limit. You may need a larger reed block or some kind to flow more air.

Again, I said "may" as I've never ported a 2 stroke and have semi-intentionally not learned about porting theory.

Good luck. I have a S25CVA that will never leave my possession. It was my grandfather's while I was his little helper.

Phill