Bike saw builders

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't got my CR250 or CR500 bikesaws in the wood yet for testing, but from information I'm gathering from some top competitors in the sport the 46RST HTooth does stretch easily enough when you exceed 60hp.
My trusted info was from Mel Lentz himself.
Oh I don’t doubt that...it all stretches quite a bit. Can still be reliable and stretch...look at 3/8 on a 30+Hp Hotsaw. Need to get quite a few runs on it to help minimize it.

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't got my CR250 or CR500 bikesaws in the wood yet for testing, but from information I'm gathering from some top competitors in the sport the 46RST HTooth does stretch easily enough when you exceed 60hp.
My trusted info was from Mel Lentz himself.
What chain do you plan to run?

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh I don’t doubt that...it all stretches quite a bit. Can still be reliable and stretch...look at 3/8 on a 30+Hp Hotsaw. Need to get quite a few runs on it to help minimize it.
Oh for sure, I ran 72LG on my YZ125 for decades with a 11T spur sprocket and never broke a loop. If any size sprocket the 11 should have snapped it especially cutting competition frozen wood at 30 below.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What chain do you plan to run?
I have good leads on .404 HT and .500" 10 AL.
The HT on the CR250 and definitely 10AL on the CR500.
I don't need to build a CR500 bikesaw, Lol but I really am looking forward to it.:cool:

I put my CR500 engine without the transmission innards, pipe, carb, harvester b/c etc. into a cardboard box and it came out to 57lbs. That's including the trans housing, cylinder and head fins, even threw in a half quart of oil.

So I truly think the 500 is a competitive saw for cold start and 3 cuts in 19-20" wood.
There's so much custom parts available today for the 500 just like the 250 enjoys. I can change the 500's violent bottom midrange to any kind of powerband I want.

Here's the 10AL in the back, the .404 HT in front of it.
FB_IMG_1590445293145.jpg

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Merry Christmas everyone, I hope you all well and safe going into 2021!
From my hotsaw observations there is definitely a horse power limit to how much chain speed and chip flow a race chain can handle.
Pictured below is about the limit for a reliable / fast chain you can put on a 60 plus hp hotsaw.
Doing a cold start and making 3 complete cuts in a 19" diameter pine log in a 5 second time bracket is about all machine and humanly possible.
View attachment 273946
Christmas greetings everyone!
I should rephrase a little on my previous post to clear any miss understandings
The picture of that race ready .404 high tooth chain is about the limit one can run a 5 second bikesaw through 3 cuts in 19-20" wood.
No weight reduction / chip clearance mods to the chassis, just a hungry square ground profile with a high untouched depth gauge geared to a oversized spur sprocket.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I kind of miss throwing spit balls at ole Baboon Dennis .He pops up an another web forum every so often and dodged the bullet when half of California was on fire .Other than that i have no idea whet he's up to .Maybe 5 foot 4 if that much .Actually he's the reason for my avatar picture because at the time they had a big blow out in California .During same Cahoon had a couple of big dead trees to fall .One picture with two shorter him and John Lambert on top of a three feet wide stump, some kind of pine tree .I countered with one taller guy with a giant old chainsaw on an over 4 feet red oak stump .My stumps bigger than your stump ,tra la la .

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I kind of miss throwing spit balls at ole Baboon Dennis .He pops up an another web forum every so often and dodged the bullet when half of California was on fire .Other than that i have no idea whet he's up to .Maybe 5 foot 4 if that much .Actually he's the reason for my avatar picture because at the time they had a big blow out in California .During same Cahoon had a couple of big dead trees to fall .One picture with two shorter him and John Lambert on top of a three feet wide stump, some kind of pine tree .I countered with one taller guy with a giant old chainsaw on an over 4 feet red oak stump .My stumps bigger than your stump ,tra la la .
Hahaha :D
Al, you would have some pretty big shoes to fill as both Dennis Cahoon and John Lambert are both former PNW timber fallers.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dennis did it for a short time when he was a lot younger and Gypo did most of his in Ontario .High quality hard maple . Don't forget I 've drank a lot of beer with John, he's no stranger and just as ornery in person as he is on the net .Cahoon and I was just was just an act . I think he's building hot saws still .
The old AS times once were a lot of fun .I've ruined at least two keyboards reading posts with a mouth full of coffee or beer .You can't swallow and laugh at the same time .Logitech made a lot of money from me .:)

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, yes I destroyed a few lap tops in my time too with spilt beers.