Best lawnmower blades sandy soil

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Toro Timecutter mx 5000 50in side discharge. Is my 1st year with it and would like to know what blades have been holding up and cutting well with others especially those using similar mower decks and soil conditions.
I usually by of ebay so any seller recommendations would be appreciated also.
Also the same on belts.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Low or no lift blades would be my guess.
Also, if the deck has any type of baffles/mulch kit on it, I’d remove those too.

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking low lift. I have an older Ariens with a mulching deck and been using high lift Ariens oem blades . They been lasting surprisingly well on a small sandy cemetery I prefer it on. Ariens branded blades would be a prime choice if they fit the Toro. Like to find a lasting brand for the Toro that doesn't cost an arm and leg.

9050lx

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put Gator mulching blades on a 42 inch Murray over 10 years ago.Beginning to wonder if they can be worn out.When hitting or glancing off roots, they just make a clunk sound and cut them, no bending, and I have had plenty of times to bend them.I used to bend a blade about once every two or so years of regular thickness blades. This in Florida, which is sandy as heck.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a Toro Titan 54" and 4 sets of blades .TheToro lift blades which bend easily and two sets of cut down Dixie chopper blades which are much heavier .Those are one set of mulchers and one of straight blades which are really heavy duty .Why they seem to be prickish about making different lengths the only thing that stands out clear is they want you to use OEM .As far as I'm concerned Toro doesn't make a strong blade the I can find .

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live in the area where it's extremely sandy and I've been cutting grass for almost 40 years. Without a doubt, the best longest lasting blade is a Fisher Barton Marbain blade. That being said, they're expensive. The best bang for the buck is Rotary Copperhead blades.

Farmer Jean

Active OPE Member
Local time
7:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For sandy soil, low lift or no lift blades are the way to go.

There are a few good, but expensive, low lift blades on the market, but there is always another way. Flatten the blades you have on the mower now to get rid of the uplift and save? Sharpen them afterward since you'll already have them on the vice. Just make sure they are flat and even on both sides, with no cracks.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of sets of the XHT Mower Blades last year middle of the summer, used for the remaining of last year including doing fall vacuum cleanup and then again this spring. Took a look thinking they should need a good sharpening and much to my surprise only required a very slight edge dressing to be razor sharp. If this keeps up they will easily last longer than 3 or 4 sets of what I've used in the past.