6:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
How much of each ingredient ?

I’m fixxin to start with my pile this weekend
(1) 20lb bottle of propane
(1) 500k BTU lawn/weed torch
(1) beer for a friend to hold while he watches
Mix well. Adjust alcomohol content to taste.

Seriously tho, the torch works great. One momentary blast instantly cooks the suckers.

We used to use borax for roaches, but never had much luck with it for ants. YMMV

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much of each ingredient ?

I’m fixxin to start with my pile this weekend
It said 50/50 water and vinegar kills em. So I just dumped some shi’t together. Probly 60 vinegar 40 water, hefty squirt of dish soap, and 1/3 cup or so of borax. Seemed to work fine. Ants are pretty fragile, I think just about anything could kill em. Just depends on how long you want em to run around.
I could’ve used something a little more harsh, but the dog is normally nosing around in the pile so it’s just easier if it nothing too gnarly.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You pick up the ants and put them in a burn barrel?
One by one. :rolleyes:
I just toss it right off the splitter to the barrel. They all move in that day or night. Then comes the Gasoline Armageddon. Good things come to those who wait overnight or at least until tonight. Ants don't travel at night but they do burn. Don't forget to put out your borax paste with sucrose in plastic jar lids with a cotton ball over the side as a wick :cool:
Your Welcome

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just lay them to the side holes up. They leave on there own. What don’t leave gets washed out when it rains. After a while you can stack it no more ants. It’s not a good home for ants once it’s split. If you wondering if any is still inside. Just split smaller before or after you throw it to the side.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I buy this stuff. I don't want to be having the carptner ants get any where near the house. I keep a gallon jug handy and it is safe to use inside the house too.
indoor-landscape%402x.jpg

Al

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I try to keep a raid can handy. It can take 30 seconds, but I prefer to deal with them immediately so they won't make a nest somewhere else. Unfortunately I now have a variety of ants living around my house after all the firewood I have processed. They are hard to get rid of, all they need is one potential queen to escape. I actually found a lone queen guarding 2 little maggots under a piece of wood this week.

Last edited:

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chickens. Best friend has them and they love it when we do some splitting.
I agree, except I usually end up messing around more with the chickens than getting work done. Had pet hen at my buddies that loved to split wood for the ants, she'd jump right on the splitter until she made a nest in the baler. Then ended up with a pet rooster that would cut wood with me in his grove.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The best stuff was DDT, (Dieldrin) you sometimes see those golf tee like things in the bottom of telegraph poles. Well they were feed holes to pour DDT in from back in the 40's-50's. Back in the day when men were men, they climbed under homes spraying this stuff on foundations without any PPE, it's worked great highly carcinogenic, has a real long half life so it hangs around for decades. Causes all sorts of cancer & stuff.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ive not encountered a better chemical to smoke ants than fipronil. the home defense chit works for a month or two maybe. fipronil smokes thee for years. check out termidor sc

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another vote for let it sit in the sun for a day or so, and if you have chickens, they'll clean them up. They think it's candy.