High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Bendix Schintilla magneto repair (Remington & Mall)

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bump.

This is a redux of the thread I did on AS. Pictures were all lost in the linkbux fiasco.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice thread! I injoy reading about and seeing these kind of repairs! It's nice because it can spill over into so many other things. Great job!

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bump.

Not many rebuilding Logmaster types?

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sort of what I've done. Used a 1/4" long butt splice, lapped the wire core ends, filled the void with the above Liquid tape and slipped a length of 1/4" fuel hose over it with two or three tiny zip ties. Slit the hose.

Plan ahead so the splice has plenty of clearence.

I used to have pics on my phone but they got deleted. Running out of storage.

Just double or even triple layer the shrink wrap Carl, much easier than splicing fuel line over a joint, done many on old mag saw restorations.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bump for the fella that snagged a gear drive Logmaster.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
just picked up a Remington Mall GP yesterday. Think all the parts are there except the knob on the oil pump. The coil is toast. I have ordered the Homelite coil. Thank you for this info. It will be great to get this saw going again.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any other info would be a BIG help.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the coil just a press fit over the bar?

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really nice repair. Props to you for figuring it out!

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I got a homesite coil. It has a black wire and a blue wire. Where do these wires go. I think Black is to the condenser and blue is to ground. Is this correct . Got the carb all rebuilt today. just waiting on some plug wire. thank you for any help.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t remember but the long one goes to the points and the short to ground.

9e2d72e1a6e8abff886898ef109a2775.jpg

In this case ground was red.

Last edited:

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My black wire is longer than the blue wire.So I am not sure. Guess I could wire it with long wire to point and if it does not work I could just switch them around. hope I don't fry something.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there any reason why I can't remove the rivet slide on the new coil then rivet it back?

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just file the rivet flat as possible. You don’t want that lamination too separate.

Being many thin pieces and coated with shellac concentrates the magnetic field.

It’s a scientific thing.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. do you know where I can get some piston rings for this saw?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be a crap shoot to guess but logically speaking any slid on coil that would fit in the space could work .That or those coils remind be of the T A Edison coils on old Indian motorcycles and possibly on Eiseman mags used on early Caterpillar two cylinder pony motors . In simplicity all a mag coil is is an auto transformer .The only function in life the condenser serves is preventing the points from flashing over when they open .Nearly any that could be used on the circuit for mag ,that would fit would work . Fact on a D4 Cat mag I used a Delco used on old Chevy's . Interesting thread though .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now then solid state coils .They made a zillion of them but some will interchange .For example I had mentioned before rebuilding a pair of Partner P-100's one with a two piece ignition system one with a one piece both nearly impossible to find . In doing some research on flea bay I found a coil for a 272 Husqvarna they gave the measurements on that looked like it could work and the best news it did . Runs like a top fact I fired the big Swede up today .Lit right off on 5 from sitting 6 months .BTW you can splice the high voltage plug wire .I just used a bare butt splice with a couple wraps of Scotch 130 c which is HV tape .If it's wound tight it will not fail .

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well got it all back together . I tried to start it yesterday and it would pop but not run. it did the something to me today. So I put it in my bench vise. After about 10 good hard pulls it started up. You talk about some smoke. It has now quit smoking and was starting easy. The carb I have on it does not have the adjustment screws on the side. I'll think the high low screws are on the back where the air filter bolts up . Is this correct . Can anyone tell me what screw does What. Thanks. We will see how it goes tomorrow on starting.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well got it all back together . I tried to start it yesterday and it would pop but not run. it did the something to me today. So I put it in my bench vise. After about 10 good hard pulls it started up. You talk about some smoke. It has now quit smoking and was starting easy. The carb I have on it does not have the adjustment screws on the side. I'll think the high low screws are on the back where the air filter bolts up . Is this correct . Can anyone tell me what screw does What. Thanks. We will see how it goes tomorrow on starting.

The Lo should be closest to the motor and the Hi furthest away on any/every carburetor. Least ways I've never seen one differ.