Bacon Hunting

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know what it's like where you are, but the only center-fire rifle ammo that is consistently available here is .223/5.55, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .308. Assuming you don't already have a stash of ammo and/or the ability to reload, those are about the only realistic options. If AR's are legal where you are at, there are endless options available. They will do great for defensive use and varmints and can hunt larger game with the right bullet and good shot placement. If you can find one, the Ruger American Ranch 5.56 is a bolt action that takes AR mags and should be legal anywhere. No, mine is not for sale!

If you might hunt larger game, my advice would be go pick out a bolt action in 6.5 or .308 and top it with a decent scope in steel rings. Burris Fullfield II is easily the best lower price scope available, I love mine.
Wow!!
Some great info right here...git me doing some research already. No problem with AR/AK weapons around here.

Btw...my uncle is a diehard on all things .30-30! Is there a one that has 15 round or higher capacity??

That 5.56 option may be my ticket!

Thanks a bunch!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In theory, one could make a hicap mag for a bolt action .30-30 like the Remington 788 or Savage 340 but it would take a lot of effort. I'm not aware of anything other than factory low capacity mags ever being available for them.

.30-30 is an awesome cartridge, I gave my two Winchester 94's some exercise today. Used Marlins and Winchester's are way overpriced from a functional standpoint these days, and remember there is no factory service or warranty for any of them. I would go with a new Henry, which will cost about the same as a nice used Winchester or Marlin. Henry has the best customer service in the business if you ever have problems and their guns are high quality.

Factory .30-30 ammo is going to set you back around $1.50-2.50 a shot when you can even find it. If you have ever had any interest in reloading, the .30-30 is a great choice and components are easier to come by than factory ammo. If you have to rely on factory ammo, your best bet is to scour the online sources like Ammoseek daily and be ready to jump on it when you find it. If you are on good terms with a gun shop, they might let you prepay or work out a similar deal for when it comes in.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use Ammoseek as well. Just be careful, it’s just an ammo search engine and once in a while scammers make there way onto it. Best advice - if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. I always google reviews of the place selling the ammo and within a couple minutes will know whether or not they are legit.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, always do your homework on any online seller that you've never heard of before and/or has way better prices and in stock than others. There are also some bona fide sellers that will claim to have things in stock so they can take your money and not deliver for months.

Reactions: Lnk

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:Laie_22mini:
Impressive collection there.
BTW...what would be a good tweener that has the best of all worlds.

I'm currently in a mental battle between a .22 WMR or 30-30 bolt action!
Basic coyote blaster, woods duty, and hopefully NOT a home invasion deterrent!:mgwhore:
Somebody said there are some rare 30-30 rifles with 15 & 30-capacity clips...is that correct?:confundio1:

I'm a definite novice, yet not too prideful to ask questions! lol:cunaooooo:
Just now seeing this so my response is rather late. If you want an all-purpose round for what you've listed animal-wise, four-legged and two-legged, I'd stick with a 30 caliber round, get a .30-.30 or .308 and call it done. Can get the .308 in bolt-action platform or AR-10 platform and I would prob go the .308 route btwn the two, and I have a few of each in lever action and AR platform, and a few Marlin 336-CS .35's as well, but it boils down to whatever suits you best. The .22 WMR and .30-.30 you mentioned are opposite end of the spectrum rounds for their purpose...if all else fails get both a 22 caliber and 30 caliber gun.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes indeed. A .22 LR rifle and .30 cal centerfire will kill anything that needs killin' in North America just fine. If not a .30-30, I would get a .308 bolt action as my one and only centerfire. I would have barrel mounted open sights added and install a Burris 3-9x40 scope in quality Weaver style mounts so I could choose which sighting system is best for a particular scenario.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In theory, one could make a hicap mag for a bolt action .30-30 like the Remington 788 or Savage 340 but it would take a lot of effort. I'm not aware of anything other than factory low capacity mags ever being available for them.

.30-30 is an awesome cartridge, I gave my two Winchester 94's some exercise today. Used Marlins and Winchester's are way overpriced from a functional standpoint these days, and remember there is no factory service or warranty for any of them. I would go with a new Henry, which will cost about the same as a nice used Winchester or Marlin. Henry has the best customer service in the business if you ever have problems and their guns are high quality.

Factory .30-30 ammo is going to set you back around $1.50-2.50 a shot when you can even find it. If you have ever had any interest in reloading, the .30-30 is a great choice and components are easier to come by than factory ammo. If you have to rely on factory ammo, your best bet is to scour the online sources like Ammoseek daily and be ready to jump on it when you find it. If you are on good terms with a gun shop, they might let you prepay or work out a similar deal for when it comes in.

Back during the price gouge days...I bought a bunch from AmmoSeek for .9mm, .38, and various shotguns. Other than goofy prices...never hit a snag...yet!
It was some folks on there sketchy for real though...

Thanks for the info & advice!

ramrat

Circle T Outdoor Services
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a lot of fun last week in Texas hunting some hogs. A few firsts for me: First time in Oklahoma, first time in Texas, first time hunting hogs, first time (legally) driving 75mph on a 2 lane road - I liked that! Believe it or not, it was the wife’s idea to go on this hunt for our 10 year anniversary. I wasn’t going to say no! We both shot a fair sized boar, fair chase, and had a lot of fun. She used her .243 and shot hers just below the ear, and I punched mine between the eyes with a 6.5 Creedmoor. As they told us in Texas “Shoot ‘em in the face!” And that’s exactly what we did!
View attachment 350970
View attachment 350971

ramrat

Circle T Outdoor Services
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a lot of fun last week in Texas hunting some hogs. A few firsts for me: First time in Oklahoma, first time in Texas, first time hunting hogs, first time (legally) driving 75mph on a 2 lane road - I liked that! Believe it or not, it was the wife’s idea to go on this hunt for our 10 year anniversary. I wasn’t going to say no! We both shot a fair sized boar, fair chase, and had a lot of fun. She used her .243 and shot hers just below the ear, and I punched mine between the eyes with a 6.5 Creedmoor. As they told us in Texas “Shoot ‘em in the face!” And that’s exactly what we did!
View attachment 350970
View attachment 350971
What was the name of the outfit you hunted through. Trying to get a hunt planned for this year.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're still looking for a good all around rifle, I just got a Savage Axis .308 and am very pleased with it so far. There is alot of aftermarket stuff available for them as well. It's not uncommon for these to shoot well under sub-MOA with a few tweeks and the right ammo.

Reactions: Lnk

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What was the name of the outfit you hunted through. Trying to get a hunt planned for this year.
We booked through Thompson’s Hunting Lodge. Eric Estrada is the guy running the show for them. Great place, all inclusive, no hidden fees. They fed us, took care of the hogs, and made sure we were enjoying ourselves the whole time we were there. Highly recommend! Look ‘em up - they are based out of Crystal City, TX.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We booked through Thompson’s Hunting Lodge. Eric Estrada is the guy running the show for them. Great place, all inclusive, no hidden fees. They fed us, took care of the hogs, and made sure we were enjoying ourselves the whole time we were there. Highly recommend! Look ‘em up - they are based out of Crystal City, TX.
Eric Estrada you say?
GTY_chips_1_kab_150323_16x9_992.jpg

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She’s a blessing for sure! The 6.5 is a Howa 1500 that I borrowed from my dad for the hunt. I only own varmint rifles due to the fact that we are a shotgun slug only zone for deer around here (extremely unfortunate I know!). I did find out that the locals, including the ranch manager use 22-250 on hogs, so next time I’ll bring mine.
AR15 in 6.8 is good hog medicine.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow!!
Some great info right here...git me doing some research already. No problem with AR/AK weapons around here.

Btw...my uncle is a diehard on all things .30-30! Is there a one that has 15 round or higher capacity??

That 5.56 option may be my ticket!

Thanks a bunch!

On the 30-30. You are not going to find a mag fed rifle as it is a rimmed cartridge, and they don't stack well. Not sure the max capacity of tube fed levergats though. That being said, anything from .223/5.56 to 444 marlin will be fine. Go to places that sell ammo, see what they have, and buy something that shoots it. Then buy as much as you can before you can't.

Lots of good advice so far, I would go the ar route were I in your shoes. Can get other uppers in other calibers that fit the ar-15 platform. Good luck.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I was just today starting out looking for center-fire rifles and had no reloading stuff whatsoever, the only cartridges I would consider are .223/5.56, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .308. Those are the only ones available most of the time at reasonable prices. .350 Legend if I was hunting in a straight wall state, those are pretty easy to find in this area. I always advise that anybody with more than a very casual interest in rifles to get a basic reloading setup. You can get everything you need for under $200.00 and still save money even with inflated component prices. Even if you end up liking factory ammo better, it's wise to at least have the ability to reload.