Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
4:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a lot of fun last week in Texas hunting some hogs. A few firsts for me: First time in Oklahoma, first time in Texas, first time hunting hogs, first time (legally) driving 75mph on a 2 lane road - I liked that! Believe it or not, it was the wife’s idea to go on this hunt for our 10 year anniversary. I wasn’t going to say no! We both shot a fair sized boar, fair chase, and had a lot of fun. She used her .243 and shot hers just below the ear, and I punched mine between the eyes with a 6.5 Creedmoor. As they told us in Texas “Shoot ‘em in the face!” And that’s exactly what we did!
CAA9FF71-58BA-4A0F-82C3-1B509A5CA3A5.jpeg
F4929724-F2C7-4A02-B38F-8ED7164D6D34.jpeg

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Married to a babe that likes hunting? You're living the dream! What kinda 6.5 you got? Mine is a Remington 700.
She’s a blessing for sure! The 6.5 is a Howa 1500 that I borrowed from my dad for the hunt. I only own varmint rifles due to the fact that we are a shotgun slug only zone for deer around here (extremely unfortunate I know!). I did find out that the locals, including the ranch manager use 22-250 on hogs, so next time I’ll bring mine.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
5:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She’s a blessing for sure! The 6.5 is a Howa 1500 that I borrowed from my dad for the hunt. I only own varmint rifles due to the fact that we are a shotgun slug only zone for deer around here (extremely unfortunate I know!). I did find out that the locals, including the ranch manager use 22-250 on hogs, so next time I’ll bring mine.
The Howa 1500 series are the same exact barrels and actions that are in Weatherby Vanguard S2 series rifles. Howa has been making them for Weatherby for the Vanguard S2 series for many years...only difference are the stocks. Excellent flat shooting rifles...I own several in different calibers from .240 Weatherby Mag, .257 Weatherby Mag to .300 Win Mag, and several in-btwn standard and magnum calibers.

Last edited:

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Howa 1500 series are the same exact barrels and actions that are in Weatherby Vanguard S2 series rifles. Howa has been making them for Weatherby for the Vanguard S2 series for many years...only difference are the stocks. Excellent flat shooting rifles...I own several in different calibers from .240 Weatherby Mag, .257 Weatherby Mag to .300 Win Mag, and several in-btwn calibers.
I’ve known that as well and that’s why I’m completely OK with using or owning one. In fact, through Brownell’s you can purchase Howa 1500 barreled actions to build with as you wish. They’re a great price too - most under $400. Just add a stock and magazine if you wish, and go!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Howa 1500 series are the same exact barrels and actions that are in Weatherby Vanguard S2 series rifles. Howa has been making them for Weatherby for the Vanguard S2 series for many years...only difference are the stocks. Excellent flat shooting rifles...I own several in different calibers from .240 Weatherby Mag, .257 Weatherby Mag to .300 Win Mag, and several in-btwn calibers.

The Howa/Vanguard is probably the most underrated hunting rifle ever. I have an early 90's 1500 in .30'06 that was rebarreled by ER Shaw to .257 Roberts, I would bet it's the only one in the whole world.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve known that as well and that’s why I’m completely OK with using or owning one. In fact, through Brownell’s you can purchase Howa 1500 barreled actions to build with as you wish. They’re a great price too - most under $400. Just add a stock and magazine if you wish, and go!

I think Howa/Vanguard and Browning AB3 are the best combination of accuracy, quality, and value out there. Great looks and workmanship and will often outshoot more expensive rifles. But they don't cost much more than the various plastic stock/matte finish econo rifles like the Axis and Compass.

ramrat

Circle T Outdoor Services
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like you had a good time. You should have picked me up on your way by. I live just north of Iowa city of 380.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a lot of fun last week in Texas hunting some hogs. A few firsts for me: First time in Oklahoma, first time in Texas, first time hunting hogs, first time (legally) driving 75mph on a 2 lane road - I liked that! Believe it or not, it was the wife’s idea to go on this hunt for our 10 year anniversary. I wasn’t going to say no! We both shot a fair sized boar, fair chase, and had a lot of fun. She used her .243 and shot hers just below the ear, and I punched mine between the eyes with a 6.5 Creedmoor. As they told us in Texas “Shoot ‘em in the face!” And that’s exactly what we did!
View attachment 350970
View attachment 350971

It’s too bad these lil buggers are destroying the land with overpopulation, I heard that hunters can’t kill em fast enough to control the population explosion. I have also been told that they have been spotted as high as Alberta Canada where I live. Fish and game here is asking people who have seen them here to fill out an online report, but apparently colder weather does not bother them as much

one question, how does it taste????

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Howa 1500 series are the same exact barrels and actions that are in Weatherby Vanguard S2 series rifles. Howa has been making them for Weatherby for the Vanguard S2 series for many years...only difference are the stocks. Excellent flat shooting rifles...I own several in different calibers from .240 Weatherby Mag, .257 Weatherby Mag to .300 Win Mag, and several in-btwn standard and magnum calibers.
:Laie_22mini:
Impressive collection there.
BTW...what would be a good tweener that has the best of all worlds.

I'm currently in a mental battle between a .22 WMR or 30-30 bolt action!
Basic coyote blaster, woods duty, and hopefully NOT a home invasion deterrent!:mgwhore:
Somebody said there are some rare 30-30 rifles with 15 & 30-capacity clips...is that correct?:confundio1:

I'm a definite novice, yet not too prideful to ask questions! lol:cunaooooo:

Reactions: Lnk

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:Laie_22mini:
Impressive collection there.
BTW...what would be a good tweener that has the best of all worlds.

I'm currently in a mental battle between a .22 WMR or 30-30 bolt action!
Basic coyote blaster, woods duty, and hopefully NOT a home invasion deterrent!:mgwhore:
Somebody said there are some rare 30-30 rifles with 15 & 30-capacity clips...is that correct?:confundio1:

I'm a definite novice, yet not too prideful to ask questions! lol:cunaooooo:

Don't know what it's like where you are, but the only center-fire rifle ammo that is consistently available here is .223/5.55, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .308. Assuming you don't already have a stash of ammo and/or the ability to reload, those are about the only realistic options. If AR's are legal where you are at, there are endless options available. They will do great for defensive use and varmints and can hunt larger game with the right bullet and good shot placement. If you can find one, the Ruger American Ranch 5.56 is a bolt action that takes AR mags and should be legal anywhere. No, mine is not for sale!

If you might hunt larger game, my advice would be go pick out a bolt action in 6.5 or .308 and top it with a decent scope in steel rings. Burris Fullfield II is easily the best lower price scope available, I love mine.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know what it's like where you are, but the only center-fire rifle ammo that is consistently available here is .223/5.55, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .308. Assuming you don't already have a stash of ammo and/or the ability to reload, those are about the only realistic options. If AR's are legal where you are at, there are endless options available. They will do great for defensive use and varmints and can hunt larger game with the right bullet and good shot placement. If you can find one, the Ruger American Ranch 5.56 is a bolt action that takes AR mags and should be legal anywhere. No, mine is not for sale!

If you might hunt larger game, my advice would be go pick out a bolt action in 6.5 or .308 and top it with a decent scope in steel rings. Burris Fullfield II is easily the best lower price scope available, I love mine.
Well said!