Automatic Chain Sharpener - Under $300

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Proprietary' wheel design obviously keeps $$ coming in after point of sale. The wheel size looked like the small wheels homeowner type or bar mounted type grinders use. Only 050 is a problem for many including saw shops that have to be able to grind anything their given. This grinder really interests me, given all the variables an auto grinder must deal with, it's a challenging task to say the least. I can't see myself retiring the 511 style grinder yet, it can deal with any pitch, gauge, chain style on the market & there cheap, easy to repair/service & buy parts for. I rarely like or approve of a cutter ground by someone else in general 90% of the time I see room for improvement/s. The more I think about an auto grinder the more I think perhaps there not for me.

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello Outdoor Power Equipment Forum! My name is Gun, and I'm the Chief Product Officer here at TEMCo Industrial. Thank you for your interest in the FP1000. It took me a while to respond to you guys because I needed manual clearance from the mods/admins. I first and foremost want to say that my intention is to clarify any questions or comments directly made on the forum while following forum rules and respecting its members. I understand that every forum has their set of rules on things like marketing and advertisement, so if at any point my responses break these sorts of rules, please allow me to rephrase them in such a way that is acceptable. In order to avoid such issues, I will quote questions and comments and directly respond to them.

Also, most importantly: what helps us grow and make a better product is your technical criticism. I've read a lot so far, and I am truly grateful. Please, please, continue to comment, ask questions, and make suggestions based on your particular headaches you've experienced with automatic (or any, really) chain sharpener. I want all of you to know that we take technical criticism very seriously and read and consider every single one. We want to improve the FP1000 and keep it affordable so that you don't have to break the bank just so that you can quickly get back to doing the honest and hard work all of you do.

Boy the first impression of that grinder was not positive but after I watched the vids I'm impressed...hope durability isn't a factor. Seems like someone put a whole lotta thought into its design

Thanks for your positive impression, and we're glad that you found the videos. We think the build quality is great, but within one year of your purchase, should you find that the FP1000 is not as durable as you'd like, parts fail, or you're just not happy with it: we have a one year no-questions-asked return policy. We'll even cover the return shipping.

Unbelievable! I could see this set up as a dedicated raker grinder.

Heck yeah! Getting a good raker profile for your particular situation is arguably just as important as sharp cutters. Don't neglect them!

Nice idea. Ill stick to my USG and Tecomec/Oregon. I often run into stuck links or other oddities.

Hey those are some respectable brands and good sharpeners. If you already have an automatic sharpener that works for you, that's awesome! We think that there's honor in working with your hands, and we're just glad you're able to do that whether it is or it isn't with our products. Thanks for your hard work! If in the future you're interested in having some TEMCo products, we'll be there to help.

Round grind only???
I don't think they will ever make an automatic square grinder. I have been really, really wrong though... lots of times

Because of the way the grinding armature moves on an axis, the FP1000 will only do a round grind. I've seen an automatic square grinder before - I forget the brand the model of the top of my head. I think it costs a pretty penny, though. Just curious: what are some of the reasons you guys want/need a square grind?

I read up on the specs, this grinder is 43 and 50 gauge only.
It’s too bad it won’t do 80 gauge 404 or 11H/BC chains that’s where something like this would sell and fast.

That is correct - it'll do 43 and 50 only. We've read and heard from a lot of people asking for it to do larger chains, and though I'm not at liberty to discuss R&D, I can note that you guys have been heard loud and clear.

I kinda like that thing. Who is gonna get one to try it out?
can't beat the guarantee they offer
Cool grinder.

You guys should just try it out! We think once you get a few chains through it, you'll absolutely love it. Gary's right: you can't beat that guarantee, and we offer it because we stand behind all our products: it's a one year no-questions-asked return policy and one year warranty. That means if you need parts, need a replacement, or just want to return it 11 months and 2 weeks from when you purchased it, we'll pay for a shipping label to send it back to us and give you a full refund.

Can’t imagine it’ll be that long to get one for .63 and skip etc.....

Hmmm...

Hmm, will anyone be doing a diamond/CBN/ABN raker wheel for this?
If you watch the video where they do the rakers you can see the wheel has a rounded contour on the backside to actually shape the raker. That makes it a proprietary wheel as far as I can see.

I am able to note that we are working on this. The reason we're developing our own proprietary wheels for this is because we aren't really happy with the tolerances on other CBN wheels. Because a CBN wheel is typically a hefty hunk of mass and must be on a relatively small spindle spinning at a pretty high RPM, any axial or radial runout or it not being concentric will cause the machine to vibrate. Developing our own wheel can better control for the situation of customers going out and getting out of spec wheels and wondering why their machine just walked itself off the bench.

Being under $300- msrp I was truly expecting to see something pretty cheap'n'nasty but it looked fairly well made & designed. If they work well they will sell.
A month or so ago I might have asked Santa for this. Will need to see where it is price wise come spring...

We're glad you're happy with this price point, but please note it will not be at this price point for long.

Yeah, I thought the pricing did not scream USA-made. Thanks for the extra info Philbert.

I want to be completely transparent with you: TEMCo Industrial LLC is an American company. The R&D for improvements, design, marketing, sales, order fulfillment, etc. are all proudly done here in Fremont, California. Even the time taken to respond to your guys' questions and comments is paying for an American job (me!). The manufacturing, and only the manufacturing, is done in China. We do this in order to keep the cost of the machine down, which allows us to pass those savings on to the customer, while also leaving a margin to pay all of our hard-working American employees. We also work directly with manufacturing to maintain our standards, so we're not sacrificing quality for cost.

'Proprietary' wheel design obviously keeps $$ coming in after point of sale. The wheel size looked like the small wheels homeowner type or bar mounted type grinders use. Only 050 is a problem for many including saw shops that have to be able to grind anything their given. This grinder really interests me, given all the variables an auto grinder must deal with, it's a challenging task to say the least. I can't see myself retiring the 511 style grinder yet, it can deal with any pitch, gauge, chain style on the market & there cheap, easy to repair/service & buy parts for. I rarely like or approve of a cutter ground by someone else in general 90% of the time I see room for improvement/s. The more I think about an auto grinder the more I think perhaps there not for me.

Thanks for the comments. Some of the responses to these comments were made above, so I'll spare this post the extra volume and refer you to them.

It definitely is a challenging task to get all the right engineering for all the right features while keeping costs down. The reason we want to further develop the automatic technology for chain sharpening is that a human hand needs experience to get consistently even cuts, especially for taking down rakers. (Hey, how many of you have done a manual grind and had the chainsaw do the arc cut of shame?) A go/no-go piece of plastic won't get the type of precision an automatic sharpener can, especially when you've got a mound of chains to get through and you're already tired and hungry, but your hands are dirty and you realize you're out of deli meat for a sandwich, so now you're pissed and hungry . The FP1000 doesn't get hungry, it doesn't get tired, and does a consistently good cut every time.

It does need a bit of calibration, though, and we do admit that it does currently have some limitations. However, the reason I'm here is to listen to what you guys think those limitations are and to report to our engineers in R&D about what we can do about it. When we're through, we expect to have an even better sharpener and hope to keep its low price point so that no one here has to break the bank just to buy it.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. We love to have vendors and actual company representatives on here to discuss and address issues and concerns that members encounter.
I will respond to my square grind question. Square grind chains seem to cut better smoother, faster, and stay sharp longer between touch ups. Kind of like the future of chain grinds.
With that said, many members still use round filed chains as well.
Does this auto grinder sharpen both semi chisel and full chisel chains? Does it work on any loops other than full compliment chains?
Many times product nanufscturers offer a group buy. How about setting one up? Lol

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Hello Outdoor Power Equipment Forum! My name is Gun, and I'm the Chief Product Officer here at TEMCo Industrial. Thank you for your interest in the FP1000. It took me a while to respond to you guys because I needed manual clearance from the mods/admins. I first and foremost want to say that my intention is to clarify any questions or comments directly made on the forum while following forum rules and respecting its members. I understand that every forum has their set of rules on things like marketing and advertisement, so if at any point my responses break these sorts of rules, please allow me to rephrase them in such a way that is acceptable. In order to avoid such issues, I will quote questions and comments and directly respond to them.

Also, most importantly: what helps us grow and make a better product is your technical criticism. I've read a lot so far, and I am truly grateful. Please, please, continue to comment, ask questions, and make suggestions based on your particular headaches you've experienced with automatic (or any, really) chain sharpener. I want all of you to know that we take technical criticism very seriously and read and consider every single one. We want to improve the FP1000 and keep it affordable so that you don't have to break the bank just so that you can quickly get back to doing the honest and hard work all of you do.

Thanks for your positive impression, and we're glad that you found the videos. We think the build quality is great, but within one year of your purchase, should you find that the FP1000 is not as durable as you'd like, parts fail, or you're just not happy with it: we have a one year no-questions-asked return policy. We'll even cover the return shipping.

Heck yeah! Getting a good raker profile for your particular situation is arguably just as important as sharp cutters. Don't neglect them!

Hey those are some respectable brands and good sharpeners. If you already have an automatic sharpener that works for you, that's awesome! We think that there's honor in working with your hands, and we're just glad you're able to do that whether it is or it isn't with our products. Thanks for your hard work! If in the future you're interested in having some TEMCo products, we'll be there to help.

Because of the way the grinding armature moves on an axis, the FP1000 will only do a round grind. I've seen an automatic square grinder before - I forget the brand the model of the top of my head. I think it costs a pretty penny, though. Just curious: what are some of the reasons you guys want/need a square grind?

That is correct - it'll do 43 and 50 only. We've read and heard from a lot of people asking for it to do larger chains, and though I'm not at liberty to discuss R&D, I can note that you guys have been heard loud and clear.

You guys should just try it out! We think once you get a few chains through it, you'll absolutely love it. Gary's right: you can't beat that guarantee, and we offer it because we stand behind all our products: it's a one year no-questions-asked return policy and one year warranty. That means if you need parts, need a replacement, or just want to return it 11 months and 2 weeks from when you purchased it, we'll pay for a shipping label to send it back to us and give you a full refund.

Hmmm...

I am able to note that we are working on this. The reason we're developing our own proprietary wheels for this is because we aren't really happy with the tolerances on other CBN wheels. Because a CBN wheel is typically a hefty hunk of mass and must be on a relatively small spindle spinning at a pretty high RPM, any axial or radial runout or it not being concentric will cause the machine to vibrate. Developing our own wheel can better control for the situation of customers going out and getting out of spec wheels and wondering why their machine just walked itself off the bench.

We're glad you're happy with this price point, but please note it will not be at this price point for long.

I want to be completely transparent with you: TEMCo Industrial LLC is an American company. The R&D for improvements, design, marketing, sales, order fulfillment, etc. are all proudly done here in Fremont, California. Even the time taken to respond to your guys' questions and comments is paying for an American job (me!). The manufacturing, and only the manufacturing, is done in China. We do this in order to keep the cost of the machine down, which allows us to pass those savings on to the customer, while also leaving a margin to pay all of our hard-working American employees. We also work directly with manufacturing to maintain our standards, so we're not sacrificing quality for cost.

Thanks for the comments. Some of the responses to these comments were made above, so I'll spare this post the extra volume and refer you to them.

It definitely is a challenging task to get all the right engineering for all the right features while keeping costs down. The reason we want to further develop the automatic technology for chain sharpening is that a human hand needs experience to get consistently even cuts, especially for taking down rakers. (Hey, how many of you have done a manual grind and had the chainsaw do the arc cut of shame?) A go/no-go piece of plastic won't get the type of precision an automatic sharpener can, especially when you've got a mound of chains to get through and you're already tired and hungry, but your hands are dirty and you realize you're out of deli meat for a sandwich, so now you're pissed and hungry . The FP1000 doesn't get hungry, it doesn't get tired, and does a consistently good cut every time.

It does need a bit of calibration, though, and we do admit that it does currently have some limitations. However, the reason I'm here is to listen to what you guys think those limitations are and to report to our engineers in R&D about what we can do about it. When we're through, we expect to have an even better sharpener and hope to keep its low price point so that no one here has to break the bank just to buy it.

Tl;dr :hum::risas3:

welcome to the nut house!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Square ground/ filed chain can be 10% -15% faster in objective testing, but requires more skill (and more expensive files!) to sharpen.

Dedicated square chain grinders are harder to find, and currently about $1,000 new. So any low cost square chain grinders are attractive for guys to get into it / give it a try.

Philbert

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Phil. Well stated! [emoji106]
Me personally, I would like to try a chain that has been ground by this auto grinder and compare it to my own hand filed round chain.

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. We love to have vendors and actual company representatives on here to discuss and address issues and concerns that members encounter.
I will respond to my square grind question. Square grind chains seem to cut better smoother, faster, and stay sharp longer between touch ups. Kind of like the future of chain grinds.
With that said, many members still use round filed chains as well.
Does this auto grinder sharpen both semi chisel and full chisel chains? Does it work on any loops other than full compliment chains?
Many times product nanufscturers offer a group buy. How about setting one up? Lol

Out of curiosity, does that comparison of a square grind to round grind concern manual grinds, using semi automatic machines like a 511, or automatic machines?

Let me ask the engineer on the semi vs full chisel and loop question. I'll get back to you this, as I'd like to double check.

I'll have to think about a group buy. Just to let you know, the price that is currently sitting at isn't going to be at that for long...

Thanks Gun.

Good to get the info directly from the guy(s) who know.

Philbert

Thanks for inviting us here, Philbert!

Tl;dr :hum::risas3:

welcome to the nut house!

I figured a single response would be neater than an individual post per comment. Please feel free to only read the questions that interested you.

Glad to be here!

Square ground/ filed chain can be 10% -15% faster in objective testing, but requires more skill (and more expensive files!) to sharpen.

Dedicated square chain grinders are harder to find, and currently about $1,000 new. So any low cost square chain grinders are attractive for guys to get into it / give it a try.

Philbert

I see. So assuming a perfectly cut square grind and a perfectly cut round grind, the square grind is a bit faster. Interesting. Do you think a lot of people would want a square grind over a round grind if they had the choice, and say, both machines were the same price?

I'll talk to R&D about this and see if it's on their radar.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the square grinders are much more complex and involved than the round grind machines.
With fresh ground chains, round and square, square will be faster every time. There are a lot of positive attributes to a good square ground/filed chain.
I use both square and round filed chains. Primarily full comp, full chisel chains.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@GunTemco Gun, this is not your "average" saw guys forum, what you have here assembled is a borderline obsessive group of fanatics who for some reason cherish their "tools" ( ie saws, chains, grinders ect) you may not find a tougher, more scrutinizing group of consumers if you tried. You will get feedback from a very diverse group, some whom are professionals and some who are "professional" whacks ( present body included) . Bear in mind this can be a tough group but it cares, if your product can pass this muster well by golly, you will have a loyal consumer. The average guy in the woods has NO idea what "square" chain is, or "semi" or "full" compliment. We do. There are plenty of us that have spent $1000's of dollars to purchase "square" grinders in search of chain nirvana...some have found it. A square grinder that is automatic for $3-400 USD is a Unicorn...Let me be the first to suggest @Philbert to test your product as he is our resident chain guy. But there would be a long list of candidates willing to offer our "service" to your product testing team... Best of luck with your product and please be patient with this group as you will hear some "real" opinions.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Phil. Well stated! [emoji106]
Me personally, I would like to try a chain that has been ground by this auto grinder and compare it to my own hand filed round chain.

Jeff, that's a pretty cheap way to try out this machine for @GunTemco . you mail him a chain and keep another for a comparison. Costs shipping and time only. I guess you gotta tell him what kind of wood will be used to "test" . Im sure we would have fun using one at a GTG some time soon.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So assuming a perfectly cut square grind and a perfectly cut round grind, the square grind is a bit faster. Interesting. Do you think a lot of people would want a square grind over a round grind if they had the choice, and say, both machines were the same price?

I'll talk to R&D about this and see if it's on their radar.
Count me in. That said, I doubt the % of the market that even knows about square filing/grinding is anything but small. There must be some statistics somewhere detailing the types of chains sold in USA - what % is full chisel compared to semi chisel, etc.

But if you wanted to target the end of the market that is going to build your brand a reputation for performance in the chainsaw grinder world, square ground chisel chain users like many in here is a pretty darn good way to do it in my opinion. The use will then trickle down to Joe Schmo and because that 'nut job OCD chainsaw freak' down the road from them uses Temco auto grinders, they'll know it's a brand worth buying.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to OPE @GunTemco

Question #1:
Is Your no-questions-asked warranty & return policy valid internationally?
OPE has members and potential customers outside of the US, myself being one of them.

Question #2:
Does Your grinder clamp the chain somehow prior to grinding the advanced tooth, or is the chain holding itself through the drive link anchoring in the grinders groove?

Compared to other forum members I buck fairly small amounts of firewood logs for my own heating purposes, and occasionally firewood logs from acquaintances and family members.
Since the firewood tends to be skidded beech and oak logs they are usually dirt infested which causes the chains to dull much more often.
To say the least, I am intrigued by Your grinder.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We got to get one of these grinders on Philberts bench, I'd chip in.
Good idea. Count me in too. Perhaps if enough of us pitch in it could be an OPE Forum-members owned travelling demo auto grinder, shuffling between USA members keen to pay the shipping in order to try it out?
Lets start a USD tally. I'm in for $50. Who else and how much?

Last edited:

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Send it to Philbert first and I would be in for $25. His reviews are so thorough he answers questions I didn’t know I had.
I agree. That's $75 pledged so far. Perhaps we might get lucky and Gun will discount it a little to get the party started, if we get enough $ pledged. Worth a shot anyway.