High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Atom 705

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The self cleaning airfilter is basic in concept but should help in keeping the filter clean for longer and not packing with sawdust.
It works as far as I can tell with the flywheel cooling air rushing over it sweeping it clean as such.
Also with it sitting vertical and with the super fine filter material on that side of the filter after backing off the throttle most of the chunky sawdust should just fall off ,then getting back on the throttle the rush of cooling air should sweep it away.
It will be interesting to see how it goes looking forward to running a tank or two through this old saw.
I'll probably donate it to the museum in town when I'm done with it I have no need for it too many saws as it is lol.
View attachment 294694 View attachment 294695 View attachment 294696
This looks an awful lot like the X-Torq design on Husqvarna saws!

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This looks an awful lot like the X-Torq design on Husqvarna saws!

Oy, I know that guy! ;) What's up Spacebus!

What is keeping the saw from sucking unfiltered air through the hole beneath the air filter? It looks like it connects?

Last edited:

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

What is keeping the saw from sucking unfiltered air through the hole beneath the air filter? It looks like it connects?

I make my way around here from time to time.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I could be wrong, but I think that the air meant for the carb is drawn from the cylinder side of that filter thru it and then down the hole at the bottom and up to the carb.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Done ready to run.
Only thing I replaced was the O ring's on oil/fuel caps made one gasket and updated to a modern Stihl fuel filter.
The worst part of the clean up was getting the mangy old Canola oil out of the oil tank and pump and cleaning the old dry fuel lacquer out of the fuel tank.
Am looking forward to giving it a run, giving the chain a rub it took me a second to realise it's got 10 degrees sloping in top plate cutters I've not run into much semi chisel like that usually it's 90 top plate on the more modern semi chisel I've used not that I've used that much semi chisel.
60cc no AV no chain brake and heavy! yep everything about it would make modern spoiled for choice whiny men cry lol.

20210519_170615.jpg 20210519_162141.jpg 20210519_162449.jpg 20210519_162316.jpg 20210519_162217.jpg

Last edited:

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How pretty !

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Done ready to run.
Only thing I replaced was the O ring's on oil/fuel caps made one gasket and updated to a modern Stihl fuel filter.
The worst part of the clean up was getting the mangy old Canola oil out of the oil tank and pump and cleaning the old dry fuel lacquer out of the fuel tank.
Am looking forward to giving it a run, giving the chain a rub it took me a second to realise it's got 10 degrees sloping in top plate cutters I've not run into much semi chisel like that usually it's 90 top plate on the more modern semi chisel I've used not that I've used that much semi chisel.
60cc no AV no chain brake and heavy! yep everything about it would make modern spoiled for choice whiny men cry lol.

Beautiful saw, but I certainly would rather use a modern saw that is lighter and safer. I'm no fan of making a task harder than it needs to be.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beautiful saw, but I certainly would rather use a modern saw that is lighter and safer. I'm no fan of making a task harder than it needs to be.
Not saying there is anything wrong with modern saws just some men like to complain and forget how good they have it now day's. If you believe the internet if a new saw weighs 1 gram more or has .2 less hp it's unusable lol
Could be worse imagine using an axe.
Felling_a_gumtree_c1884-1917_Powerhouse_Museum.jpg

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That certainly is not my impression of the internet. Most guys think an Echo CS590 or Husqvarna 460 are the most badass saws on the market, from my seat in front of the computer. If you are talking about professional loggers then those ounces and fractions of a horsepower do make a difference. Just like I'm sure those guys in the photo have a preference on axes and what is and isn't worth using.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That certainly is not my impression of the internet. Most guys think an Echo CS590 or Husqvarna 460 are the most badass saws on the market, from my seat in front of the computer. If you are talking about professional loggers then those ounces and fractions of a horsepower do make a difference. Just like I'm sure those guys in the photo have a preference on axes and what is and isn't worth using.
Yep ok

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wish you were closer ,you did an AWESOME job of restoring that saw. Id think you'd have a good source of income restoring saws.
I would hand my original PM700 and Homelite 1050A in a heartbeat.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not saying there is anything wrong with modern saws just some men like to complain and forget how good they have it now day's. If you believe the internet if a new saw weighs 1 gram more or has .2 less hp it's unusable lol
Could be worse imagine using an axe.
View attachment 295077

When I was a kid my dad taught me to use the same 1.5 man crosscut saw they used to clear the lot for my grandmother's house.

After one bucking cut my dad said, "Now you know why they invented chainsaws." He wasn't joking, I sure did!

I would use that old Atom, it looks like it'll hold up to anything. I'm also kind of charmed by the idea of having a saw that has "sprags" ;).

Did you hand paint that bar?

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What did you use to get the canola tar out?

I've ground semichisel at 10° tilt before. Most modern full chisel calls for the 10° and most modern semichisel does not.

I've never done a proper back to back speed test, but I can't really tell the difference between using the 10° tilt or not using it. I've taken to just staying with whatever the last grind was on that chain since I don't care.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I've ground semichisel at 10° tilt before. Most modern full chisel calls for the 10° and most modern semichisel does not.

I've never done a proper back to back speed test, but I can't really tell the difference between using the 10° tilt or not using it. I've taken to just staying with whatever the last grind was on that chain since I don't care.

I've noticed some semi chisel doesn't like any tilt, like my Stihl 1/4 .043. My ripping chains, Oregon, Carlton, and Archer 3/8lp, all call for 10* tilt, and I can definitely notice if I don't do it. For two years I was sharpening my Stihl micro picco chain with the tilt and recently I noticed that Stihl says specifically to keep the file perpendicular to the bar. Stihl is definitely correct and I don't give it any tilt now. I kind of feel stupid now since I should have known something was up when I couldn't file the chain without hitting the tie straps with any tilt.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There's more to the internet than this forum, friend. I see people on other forums and facebook groups talk about "Farm Boss" and "Rancher" saws like they are the best saws on the planet.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I got the old canola oil out with boiling water and dishwashing liquid quite a few goes at it and flushing to get it out.
For the bar I made a stencil and sprayed the red but I didn't wait long enough before clear coating and it went a little wonky on me live and lean need to be more papatient.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've noticed some semi chisel doesn't like any tilt, like my Stihl 1/4 .043. My ripping chains, Oregon, Carlton, and Archer 3/8lp, all call for 10* tilt, and I can definitely notice if I don't do it. For two years I was sharpening my Stihl micro picco chain with the tilt and recently I noticed that Stihl says specifically to keep the file perpendicular to the bar. Stihl is definitely correct and I don't give it any tilt now. I kind of feel stupid now since I should have known something was up when I couldn't file the chain without hitting the tie straps with any tilt.

I wasn't talking about what is or isn't called for in the manual's on sharpening chain.
I was just noting this old Oregon semi chisel has a 10 degrees sloping in top plate nothing to do with how it's been sharpened its how it's been made.
Most of the semi chisel I've used has had a 0 degree top plate but as I said I've not used much semi chisel chain over the years.

Last edited: