Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
7:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I just had to be a rabble rouser, I think the Duramax uses the same injector pump as the later Cummins, so it at least has one good part on it. :p

Joe

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been in Fords all my life, am on my second 7.3 IDI, have had several Mustangs, and still have my Grandfathers' last truck, currently my daily driver. Ford screwed up royally when they went away from the 460s and 7.3s, you couldn't give me a new PowerJOKE! And the Duramax just plain will not hold together if worked hard, that and the worst riding truck I ever owned was a Z71 Chevrolet. My Dad has had two Dodge trucks that were both bullet proof and a buddy of mine that is a heavy equipment dealer is on his third with over 1,300,000 on the clock and never been in the engine, actually just put the first set of injectors in it since it left the factory. With the track record I have been seeing my next truck will have a Cummins under the hood.

Joe

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been in Fords all my life, am on my second 7.3 IDI, have had several Mustangs, and still have my Grandfathers' last truck, currently my daily driver. Ford screwed up royally when they went away from the 460s and 7.3s, you couldn't give me a new PowerJOKE! And the Duramax just plain will not hold together if worked hard, that and the worst riding truck I ever owned was a Z71 Chevrolet. My Dad has had two Dodge trucks that were both bullet proof and a buddy of mine that is a heavy equipment dealer is on his third with over 1,300,000 on the clock and never been in the engine, actually just put the first set of injectors in it since it left the factory. With the track record I have been seeing my next truck will have a Cummins under the hood.

Joe
You said it right a Cummins . which is the only other engine Mack offers up in the truck .

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You said it right a Cummins . which is the only other engine Mack offers up in the truck .

Really? I would of thought since Volvo owned Mack you could get the Big Blue Volvo in them. The new Mack engine does not impress me either, now the 400 or 450 Mack like what the Superliner, 612, and 613 had in them, that was a good engine. What do you think of the 60 Series Detroit?

Joe

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really? I would of thought since Volvo owned Mack you could get the Big Blue Volvo in them. The new Mack engine does not impress me either, now the 400 or 450 Mack like what the Superliner, 612, and 613 had in them, that was a good engine. What do you think of the 60 Series Detroit?

Joe
Emissions kill everything you know that .
Also Volvo does own Mack I know I build them . I would have bought a dodge but I could not find a diesel anywhere in over a 100 miles. Cummins is good but I don't believe for one sec Duramax is bad . especially with the only transmission that holds up to a diesel.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Emissions kill everything you know that .
Also Volvo does own Mack I know I build them . I would have bought a dodge but I could not find a diesel anywhere in over a 100 miles. Cummins is good but I don't believe for one sec Duramax is bad . especially with the only transmission that holds up to a diesel.

I thought I said Volvo owned Mack? What I was surprised by was you made it sound like you couldn't get the Volvo engine in a Mack. As far as longevity the Duramax just doesn't hold together if you REALLY work it. I am not talking about pulling a Horse trailer 30 miles, I am talking pulling two International 1256 Turbos with full cabs from Georgia up into British Columbia and then taking four Massey Ferguson 240s over the coquihalla twice a month every month for ten years. And yes the Allison is a great transmission but the Aisin Dodge started using a few years back is just as good IMHO.

Joe

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
saws are expensive buy 10 more to get ported and sell them when they are on the 2nd tank.
Who cares. Why judge others for their saw buying and selling habits? What does it really matter to you?

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe I'm weird, but I hate automatic transmissions. Every truck I've ever owned was a manual transmission. My current Dodge has the G56 and it's been flawless.

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I said Volvo owned Mack? What I was surprised by was you made it sound like you couldn't get the Volvo engine in a Mack. As far as longevity the Duramax just doesn't hold together if you REALLY work it. I am not talking about pulling a Horse trailer 30 miles, I am talking pulling two International 1256 Turbos with full cabs from Georgia up into British Columbia and then taking four Massey Ferguson 240s over the coquihalla twice a month every month for ten years. And yes the Allison is a great transmission but the Aisin Dodge started using a few years back is just as good IMHO.

Joe
Volvo is like the kiss of death everything else they bought is no longer available .
They bought companies for there patents and then ran them in to the ground

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Volvo is like the kiss of death everything else they bought is no longer available .
They bought companies for there patents and then ran them in to the ground

Well they bought out Akerman and the new Volvo excavators since have been excellent machines, currently the best big excavator on the market IMHO.

But yes I would have preferred to have seen Mack stay an independent American company, or if they had to get bought by somebody at least have been PACCAR.

Joe

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe I'm weird, but I hate automatic transmissions. Every truck I've ever owned was a manual transmission. My current Dodge has the G56 and it's been flawless.

I am with you on that, I have been shopping for 18 months now for a four door Dodge with the 5.9 and the manual, very difficult to find in good shape.

Joe

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well they bought out Akerman and the new Volvo excavators since have been excellent machines, currently the best big excavator on the market IMHO.

But yes I would have preferred to have seen Mack stay an independent American company, or if they had to get bought by somebody at least have been PACCAR.

Joe
For sure

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow I feel old 3 loads of firewood today .
Loaded unloaded and stacked in the basement of the new house .

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still sick but I know winter has to come sooner or later

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow I feel old 3 loads of firewood today .
Loaded unloaded and stacked in the basement of the new house .

Is that three face cord?

Joe

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The GM trucks rattle a lot after about 50k miles on rough roads. They would drive me crazy. I don't really care for the auto but with all the highway driving I do the higher rpm cruising with the manual wasn't really feasible. I would be getting about 13-14 mpg instead of 18 on highway.