High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Alternative to Dolmar HD filter?

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
could someone explain why you would want to run an inferior filter when better are easily available

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally, I’m mostly curious about it, as I’ve only ever heard about it. I already have two of the black nylon filters I don’t use. The Home Depot saws usually have those installed when I buy them, and they get replaced right away.
What is the intent behind the nylon filters? Any specific use? Winter?

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally, I’m mostly curious about it, as I’ve only ever heard about it. I already have two of the black nylon filters I don’t use. The Home Depot saws usually have those installed when I buy them, and they get replaced right away.
Thinking winter.I could use one of those filters if your willing to let one go.Never tried one.I have the hd kit thinking of selling it don't like the look of it personally and the surface area of the filter doesn't seem to be anymore than the original to me.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you check out the videos that Mike did when he ported my saw at the beginning of the thread, the saw is down in power because of the HD filter. I think it's the tight HD elbow not the filter element. It's probably a great set up on a stock saw.

I'm trying the black mesh to see if it flows better. @t4driller made a sweet elbow to run a nice filter

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking winter.I could use one of those filters if your willing to let one go.Never tried one.I have the hd kit thinking of selling it don't like the look of it personally and the surface area of the filter doesn't seem to be anymore than the original to me.
Sure, im not married to them. I’ll pm you.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just ordered one of the black mesh filters to try. I'd never seen the finer mesh white filters before this thread.
Me neither. That’s why I’m curious why there’s several different ones.
I’ll keep one of those black filters myself, just for good measure.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me neither. That’s why I’m curious why there’s several different ones.
I’ll keep one of those black filters myself, just for good measure.
I'm guessing the white one will work similar to the jred 625, 630, 670, and the husky equivalents that lived healthy lives for 30 years if they didn't get crushed by a skidder first. And the black one is for winter use, given the more damp, less dusty conditions that time of year. I'm gonna give the black one a try and keep an eye on the inside of the elbow and filter for buildup

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
could someone explain why you would want to run an inferior filter when better are easily available
I think the topic of this thread is interest in lesser air flow restriction for more power while maintaining good air filtration.
I could be wrong though.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody ever read the user manual?

The black coarse nylon mesh filter is intended for usage in high humidity work conditions which would cause faster clogging of the felt filter.

I am guessing that the white fine nylon mesh filter was introduced as an in between alternative to the felt filter and the coarse nylon mesh filter.
It looks really good, should have better flow than the felt filter, while sporting better filtration than the coarse nylon mesh filter.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I personally think imo why on 64 73 and 79 series they could have done something diff.imo the 6100 has the beat filtration of all the dolmar line.why they didnt do something like that on 64 73 79 series is beyond me.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you check out the videos that Mike did when he ported my saw at the beginning of the thread, the saw is down in power because of the HD filter. I think it's the tight HD elbow not the filter element. It's probably a great set up on a stock saw.

I'm trying the black mesh to see if it flows better. @t4driller made a sweet elbow to run a nice filter
This is the one I made for mine. Seems to flow pretty good. Ran it without the filter and couldn't tell a difference. Not really a setup for work saw though.
4741db3df5c46d2c024316fb173a4b63.jpg
0c56101666cda2357ef96d52dd9c6fba.jpg