A work of fart

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This old saw has seen every side of a skidder, and was given to me DOA. I was just going to mildly port it. In the manner of Bob Ross, I got caught up in the Joy of Porting.

"Start out with just a little burr - you don't need a lot! But don't be afraid of the big burr just because it's big. Put a huffing, puffing exhaust opening ... there; a pretty butterfly intake port ... over here; a very, very dark muffler ... lives right there. We're was not looking for detail here ... broad strokes. There is no right or wrong - the only rule here is that porting makes you happy. Happy accidents can be your best friend!"

Anyway, after the carb kit arrived, I rebuilt it, reset the jets to factory, and cranked her up. A few adjustments later I recorded the video. I did a gasket delete on it, and squish is a tight 0.017. Original piston and rings are giving a 190 psi reading. I did not touch the transfers. I'm really surprised it runs, and have only a faint idea of what I did. It doesn't idle down readily, as you will notice. I will slap a bar on it tomorrow, tune it, and see if or how it cuts. Worse case scenario is that it grenades and I get to do it again with Chinese parts. It'll be my Frankensaw.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Good deal you gor there. Hard to tell is the idle was tuning or air leak but you got a runner. Oh34 has potential to be a bad ass saw for a low budget if you like to do the work yourself

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good deal you gor there. Hard to tell is the idle was tuning or air leak but you got a runner. Oh34 has potential to be a bad ass saw for a low budget if you like to do the work yourself

Could be an air leak of the Motoseal. I let it tack up pretty long before I cranked it down though. It's way thinner than Yamabond. If the torque impresses me, I'll throw some rings on it and redo the seal anyway. Gonna wait until I get a bar on it and then dial it in.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Could be an air leak of the Motoseal. I let it tack up pretty long before I cranked it down though. It's way thinner than Yamabond. If the torque impresses me, I'll throw some rings on it and redo the seal anyway. Gonna wait until I get a bar on it and then dial it in.
3/8 20inch bar abd full chiz or skip chain works nice on these saws. I run a skip on mine but I often use it on hardwood most the time. It's just a big oh26

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put a bar and chain on her before you worry about the return to idle issue. There's no drag on the saw.

Nice work. We can walk ya through getting the most out of that saw.

A timing advance and muff mod helps.

Try to grab a 48mm 036 jug from a member here and a Meteor piston from @Definitive Dave. A clean up of the band and a small base cut to get squish around 20 will wake it up without port work.

Leaving it as a 46mm 034 works as well. As long as it makes you smile when you use it :).

Great post.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like Al said the hanging above idle is probably because there is no drag without a B&C on there. I bet it tunes in nicely once you get that on there.

BTW, your Bob Ross description of the process was the best thing I've read in a while. It's like it was captioned out of his show...LMAO! Nicely done.

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks everyone. My wife is a amateur oil painter, and we probably watched every Joy of Painting show twice or more. To me, it looked like he almost randomly smeared different colors onto canvas and ended up with a killer landscape in the end. I did the same thing with the saw - just without the afro.

If it performs well where it counts, I'll take it apart, take timing measurements to record what I actually did. And like Doc said, put a meteor piston and caber rings in it. Maybe I'll BB it with a bigger jug. I already modded the muffler, it maybe it could use a pipe outlet instead of the enlarged hoodie. I intend on giving it to my younger friend who helps me out at the farm often.

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finished exhaust
20170509_071320_zpsze756xtk.jpg

Finished intake with as much bevel as I could manage
20170507_090144_zpsyxrpmamm.jpg

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So my buddy Jake came up with a spare bar and old chain slap on the 034. He's the one who gave me the saw. We ran it in some smaller wood first, and it was running great. We threw some sparks in a piece, and sharpened her back up. Then we noticed a progressive fuel leak, and the tune got worse, obviously. We torqued the head down some more, and although it was still leaking. I ran some cuts in bigger wood to show how it chews before I break it down. Whaddaya think?

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took the flywheel off to put a timing wheel on the saw to get some numbers and.....Yikes! The reason it was DOA - "blown" and "stuck" - is because it lost a cylinder bolt. Guess where it wound up?
20170525_201225_zpspkoyid8z.jpg

Last edited:

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I rigged up a degree wheel and got the numbers:

With a gasket delete and squish at .016"
Intake: 76
Exhaust: 99
Transfers: 122

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like it needs more fuel on the low to me. Without machine work, I would raise your trans a couple degrees and give it a tad more intake. I wouldnt hesistate to run the squish there.