661 help

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
10:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
so as an update for today....

pulled the AF and it looked very clean to the eye after some banging out, very little dust and crud removed..decided to try to run saw w/o AF and it made a huge improvement, to everyone's amazement.reset saw W/O AF and yet more improvement....ordering parts as I type..

G-spot
AF
FF
Lines
plug.

updates to follow:

I felt compelled to leave my 066 on the job for the apes to chew on...
please keep muh 066 in yer prayers :(

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So an update....
Thing screams now. Wish I traded a few saws for it now. Like everything but the cheap as chit Torx screws holding the solenoid cover on. They felt like the junk screws stihl uses on some homeowners series stuff. Gonna put a tach on it in wood to check rpms. Pulled a 28" rsc in oak and walnut like it was swamp maple.
Very likeable saw now.
I see why @Redbull661 and @Moparmyway dig em so.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Angelo, glad you got it worked out. I don't have one, but have been impressed with the 661s I have run.

FYI, I also think there were issues with the early intake manifolds, and a replacement was issued (I think Randy posted about it).

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
someone on Another Site asked a similar question. Here is my response. Hope it helps here.

owed 13 or 14 661s so far. changes i've seen...

1144B vs 1144C Jug - Can't tell you the difference or if there is one even. I have an 1144B and it is one of the best running saws I have. See pics.

Intake boot - this was a problem for sure. Stihl completely changed the boot. See pics.

coil / control unit - this again was a problem. 4700C 4700D would allow the saw to go too lean...lean seize. 4700E and the newest 4701A have fixed the problem. The 4701A came out like 1.5-2 yrs ago.

Clutch covers - have seen pics of a couple of cracked cases. No one I have talked to (some very smart people) can see how the clutch cover could cause the problem. All parties asked said - user error...most likely prying on his bar. The two pictures I've seen have come out of Canada. I know many of those guys use 36" tsumura light bars. The mount area is smaller on those bars relative to stihl, cannon, oregon, etc. In my opinion, I could see how that smaller mount area and prying on the bar could focus more energy into one spot vs a wider mount where the force would be more spread out.

I had a 661 which it's serial # fell inside the recall range D.O.M was early 2013 and serial # was like 176 something. It had been gone through as it had the new 4701A coil, new boot, and an 1144C jug. One of the best running 661s I have had. So maybe they gave it extra TLC at the factory when they went through and updated it? I dunno. Me being the dummy I am, sold it!

anyway I would say check the simple stuff, change to new boot and coil if ya don't have em. Take the baffle out of the muffler. Put in a wider weave screen in. Then do a reset and you should be golden :)

Attachments

• 1144B.JPG
    1144B.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 1144C.JPG
    1144C.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 42
  • new boot.jpg
    new boot.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 37
  • new coil.JPG
    new coil.JPG