High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

550xp project makeover!

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
10:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok here is the story. A guy bought a new 550xp a few months back comes in saw box in hand. He (Dan) sets ot on the counter and tells me he has a problem.
I am thinking oh great he broke his saw or something is wrong. So i grabbed the box and open it up while asking whats going on. He starts off saying my little brother!!!
As I start to pull the saw out of the box i notice it looks as if he has never started it. Real clean!
Dan continues with colorful language how his little brother went out and bought the exact same saw just to copy him. His been doing this crap for 30 years.
I giggle under my breath a bit and ask well how can I help.
Dan goes on how can we change my saw so it runs better then his and looks better!
I scratch my head and think well I know some guys that can really make it talk.
I say well a muffler mod will give her a little growl and a bit more bit. That is about the best I can do performance wise short of sending it out to be ported.
Ok Dan says let's start with the MM. Now how do I make it look better.
I suggest a clutch cover of a 545 will look better longer then the grey or have yours powder coated.
So we are going to throw a clutch cover on.
Now my question is can. Top cover off a 2253 fit a 550 and will it look like ok?
Is there anything else other then a cool Sugi or tsumara bar a guy can do?

Here is the MM

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Figured with some lead way I would try some heat shielding.
What are your thoughts? Good? Bad? Waist of time?

I also got a vid of it cutting after the muffler mod and orange 545 side cover.

Last edited:

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe a full wrap or some larger or more aggressive dawgs?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just be careful on the muffler mods on these and the 562 that the deflector is bent down enough so that the exhaust doesn't hit the chainbrake and melt/burn it.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know of a member fitting 372 full wraps on a Echo 590 with a few small mods.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok here is the story. A guy bought a new 550xp a few months back comes in saw box in hand. He (Dan) sets ot on the counter and tells me he has a problem.
I am thinking oh great he broke his saw or something is wrong. So i grabbed the box and open it up while asking whats going on. He starts off saying my little brother!!!
As I start to pull the saw out of the box i notice it looks as if he has never started it. Real clean!
Dan continues with colorful language how his little brother went out and bought the exact same saw just to copy him. His been doing this crap for 30 years.
I giggle under my breath a bit and ask well how can I help.
Dan goes on how can we change my saw so it runs better then his and looks better!
I scratch my head and think well I know some guys that can really make it talk.
I say well a muffler mod will give her a little growl and a bit more bit. That is about the best I can do performance wise short of sending it out to be ported.
Ok Dan says let's start with the MM. Now how do I make it look better.
I suggest a clutch cover of a 545 will look better longer then the grey or have yours powder coated.
So we are going to throw a clutch cover on.
Now my question is can. Top cover off a 2253 fit a 550 and will it look like ok?
Is there anything else other then a cool Sugi or tsumara bar a guy can do?

Here is the MM

Simple...you take his 550 towards a trade up to a 562 ...job done !

Last edited:

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ya I tried to move him to a 562 but he really likes the 550 size better. I even told him he could easily spend the price difference trying to modify the 550. I even offered a 562XPG at a great price and no go.