395 tuning

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have finally ran four tanks of 32:1 red armor through my 395. This thing is running way rich. I bought the splines carb tool to adjust it. My tach says 9,500 out of the wood. I was able to adjust to 10,100 with the screwdriver. What should I set this saw at? It is still four stroking at 12,500 and doesn't really clean up in the cut. This saw wears a 32" usually with a 42" occasionaly.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the best way to set the limiters so I can use a screwdriver to fine tune in the woods? I didn't try it after adjusting to 12,500 with the spline tool. Does it max the screwdriver screw or does it maintain a middle type adjustment? This is the first carb I've had with the spline limiters. Sorry for being dumb!

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
First, I disable jet limiter screws if I can, I despise the damn things. If the spline tool is handy, don't put the limiters on and keep the tool in your saw box for fine tuning as needed.

Second, keep tuning till it cleans up in the cut and readily 4-strokes if you lift in the cut. Remember, if working the saw hard on a long cut in big hardwood on a hot day, heat soak will lean you out a bit from your primary setting. What seems to be a good setting with a couple quick cuts can be a bit too lean when you really work the saw and she starts making real heat.

Third, I wouldn't get hung up on a target RPM number. Tune the saw to what it is asking for. If it isn't cleaning up in the cut in a timely manner, 12,500 isn't enough yet. But if you want to run a bit of a safety margin, leave her a little rich. Nothing wrong with that. Otherwise tune it as I suggested above.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks to all that responded. Part of the reason I brought this up is because I had to go by the dealer I purchased it at (farmers CoOp) to pick up some 026 parts and some stuff for work. I took it with me to have the small engine guy retune. He said it was tuned good. I told him it still four strokes in the wood and I have ran a few tanks through it. He told me it should always four stroke. I just got my stuff and left. I will talk to the other technician next week. He seems to know more and actually used to be a logger until he broke his back. He is the one that sold me the spline tool last week. I think I will stay around 12,000-12,500 to be safe for now. It will be going to Randy soon.