High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

346NE vs 254XP vs 55CP...Sibling Rivalry. Results are in!!!!

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
And I should say that I felt that the tune on the 346 was pretty good today. Also, I don't think twisting the screws would have done much more than close the gap with the 55 a bit. The 254 was not catchable today.

What won the day was displacement and a cylinder that's been ported and had some machine work to bump the compression for better RPM under a load. Pretty sure my brothers would agree

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yep round 2 with some mods next.
Well that may be awhile, like late summer. I have to do up a 359 next and after that we all need to get busy in the woods. Time to take a break from working on them and work them for awhile....346 might get a black coil sooner rather than later though ;)

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
5:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that may be awhile, like late summer. I have to do up a 359 next and after that we all need to get busy in the woods. Time to take a break from working on them and work them for awhile....346 might get a black coil sooner rather than later though ;)
Sounds good to me. Working the saws is more fun then working on them imo.

skidder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And I should say that I felt that the tune on the 346 was pretty good today. Also, I don't think twisting the screws would have done much more than close the gap with the 55 a bit. The 254 was not catchable today.

What won the day was displacement and a cylinder that's been ported and had some machine work to bump the compression for better RPM under a load. Pretty sure my brothers would agree
I’ll agree with ya on that one Joe. Stock for stock the 55 would’ve gave up the ghost just walking up to the log.

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m personally enjoying this thread tremendously and appreciate you guys sharing the ‘family feud’ with the rest of us! You should all build 288s or 281s and do another version

skidder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’m personally enjoying this thread tremendously and appreciate you guys sharing the ‘family feud’ with the rest of us! You should all build 288s or 281s and do another version
I’m game for another shoot out, but like Joe said earlier. We gotta get in the woods and work em for a bit and a build or shoot out is probly gunna have to wait till the fall or so. As we all know, summertime is busy time. Lol!!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the next one will be with 288’s since Joe and josh both have em, I will more than likely be putting up a WTB 288 thread within the next month or two. Or I might start on the 359 build. Idk yet. Lol!!
When you’re ready to buy, hit up @dustinwilt68 , he may have a good builder for ya when the time comes.

And I’d recommend a 372 as an option too. Joe and I both have one and like the 288 it’s a legend and one hell of a saw.

Oh and...get your 359 done! It’s in a box waiting for you!

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 254 was stock too?

Yep. What started this light hearted feud was me saying with both saws stock, the 254 would out cut a 346 by a small margin and Joe disagreed. He said my 2-series obsession was clouding my judgment and making me forget how strong 3-series saws are. Joe’s stubborn, I’m stubborn and here we are post shoot out...lol! Both Joe and I felt the 346 would be the fastest in smaller wood. We were all very surprised at the out come, especially the 55’s performance. Hot dang it’s a runner!

100% agreed here Joe. Also don’t forget my 254 pumps up to higher compression than both the 346 and the squatched 55, 180psi and yes I have a base gasket in there. I think if we port the 254 and 346 the tables may turn. But, I really missed on my prediction of what would happen this time around so what the hell do I know...lol!

I think the 346 deserves a ported rematch. I honestly don’t feel the need to port my 254, I’ve been very happy with how it runs since the first time I cut with it. I say the rematch should be ported 346 vs stock 254. We know the gap between them now, would be interesting to see how much it closes with mods on your saw.

Last edited:

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the 346 deserves a ported rematch.

A muffler modded rematch might be all it takes, those 346's are pretty stuffed up and wake up considerably just clearing out metal under the stock deflector.

That was an interesting and entertaining match, thanks for the vids and such.