Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm open to the idea of BB jugs being allowed in the first two classes. The problem is that it makes the kits start becoming a pain in the ass for Bruce. Also, a lot of guys think that will give someone an unfair advantage. The reality is that the BB top ends are never gonna keep up with a properly built 54mm saw. At least I've never been able to make one run in a way that impressed me.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm open to the idea of BB jugs being allowed in the first two classes. The problem is that it makes the kits start becoming a pain in the ass for Bruce. Also, a lot of guys think that will give someone an unfair advantage. The reality is that the BB top ends are never gonna keep up with a properly built 54mm saw. At least I've never been able to make one run in a way that impressed me.

I'm good with big bores being allowed also. I'm just thrilled to have a part in it. And my wife is excited for me too!! [emoji41]

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So an untouched 56mm is ok...and obviously if its ported it goes up class? Just askin...as I've got these pretty much built. I do have that completely as delivered 54 that's been debugged that was my first choice just to box & send...but this hyway did its job and needs a purpose. ..almost debugged. A little hitch here and there but mostly with "as delivered" parts.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So an untouched 56mm is ok...and obviously of its ported it goes up class? Just askin...as I've got these pretty much built. I do have that completely as delivered 54 that's been debugged that was my first choice just to box & send...but this hyway did its job and needs a purpose. ..almost debugged. A little hitch here and there but mostly with "as delivered" parts.

Even if it's ported it can still run in Class one as far as I'm concerned.

I just don't really want to cause a bunch of guys to start asking for big bore kits when we've got the supply sorta nailed down.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even if it's ported it can still run in Class one as far as I'm concerned.

I just don't really want to cause a bunch of guys to start asking for big bore kits when we've got the supply sorta nailed down.

That is understandable. The supply thing being a pita....it's out. That's it. I also have one built with the cross performance mmws cylinder too. Just been putting time on it so it can do its job..
;)

in the spirit of the group purchase & thread..i think the FT54 Will head ur way this summer. Great saw. Has a year on it. Perfect "base line" (and humble pie 4 me)

Last edited:

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
To me a bb cylinder is putting you at a disadvantage,to make one fit in the same spot as the oem cylinder they need to thin the transfers where there smaller than the 54mm cylinders,the piston is to heavy and always to short to lower it much without free porting it,not that that is always bad but I don't like it.

Grind it to dust but you'll never get enough transfer to make it strong enough to overcome the poor timing and cinder block piston.

The MMWS cylinder I believe is 100 120 78 or close to that and one hell of a good place to start for a long bar saw.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me a bb cylinder is putting you at a disadvantage,to make one fit in the same spot as the oem cylinder they need to thin the transfers where there smaller than the 54mm cylinders,the piston is to heavy and always to short to lower it much without free porting it,not that that is always bad but I don't like it.

Grind it to dust but you'll never get enough transfer to make it strong enough to overcome the poor timing and cinder block piston.

The MMWS cylinder I believe is 100 120 78 or close to that and one hell of a good place to start for a long bar saw.

Actually on the 56mm FT's they already free port. But ALL the AM cylinders have a really thin bore to edge of flange dimension. For some reason FT felt the need to put this big chamfer in there, even on the 54's. No idea why. While theoretically the BB's should be at a disadvantage, as compared to the standard 54mm FT cylinders unmodified, those 56mm cylinders are quite a bit stronger. Can't do much with them though, so starting with something like the MMWS cylinder is a huge advantage if your going to grind on them & or deck them. One of the AM 56's I have actually had a wider area cast for the transfers than any thing else I have, but the MMWS is the widest I've seen yet of the current cylinders you can actually buy. Those AM 56's that had that square base and .125" wider transfer area casting seem to have disappeared. The current FT 56's have the same casting width in the transfer area as the 54's which are smaller than the Cross castings.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Randy
I just looked for the special thread on the box o saw and it eluded me.
Could i get in on a chance to see if i can swing a box o saw?
Thanks

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two questions.

So now a ported 54mm jug can be in Class One, as long as no machine work?

56mm can be in class 2 now?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many are going to try for class 3?

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also just want to clarify that classes 1 and 2 will be running the chain as-is off the roll ? Do we know what kind of chain it will be ?