HELP! 1991 Model Husqvarna 55 NOS Cylinder & Piston

Mooselegs

OPE Member
Local time
12:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can Anybody Let me know if they have a 1991 Model 55 Husqvarna NOS Cylinder and Piston Assembly (Caber Style Ring, Piston Bearing) which does not have a Decompression Valve which i Believe is a 46mm Dia Assembly? Husqvarna Part #s from IPL are 503 60 91-02 for Cylinder Assembly, 503 60 81-01 for Piston,
OEM Ring Part # 503 28 90-28 but would Prefer Caber Style Ring. Also, if these Part Numbers have been Updated, Info on the New Part #'s would be Greatly Appreciated. Finally, Would there be another Husqvarna or Another Mak of Saw have a Similar Cylinder and Piston that would Bolt Up Properly?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whole bunch of options for these saws. But 46mm non deco kit is long gone. It was replaced with the deco kit when the 55 was morphed into the 55 Rancher. No other difference other than limiters on the carb at some point. In addition to the rare 45mm closed port, and the 44mm 51 kits, there are 2 other closed port kits from the seemingly unrelated Jonsered models; the 490 and 590, along with their Partner versions. Poulan Pro 325 kit also works. Not sure it's the same as one of the Jonny kits. Need a Partner guy to jump in here. I did put a 490 top end on an ugly 51 I had, and it runs real sweet.

Some guys may have strong feelings one way or the other about which kit is best, but unless you've tried them all, it's hard to say. I have even read that there are differences in the porting between early and late closed port kits. Just have fun and don't sweat details like which ring is used. The better caber ring would be a plus if the saw was destined for serious duty, but otherwise not important IMO.

Mooselegs

OPE Member
Local time
12:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank You For the Information. I am Attaching some Pictures of the Existing Cylinder I have and you will see that the Lip between the Open Ports (area where it Mounts to the Crankcase) is Broken but I didn't Notice any Blowby. Cylinder Looks Pretty Good otherwise.
Whole bunch of options for these saws. But 46mm non deco kit is long gone. It was replaced with the deco kit when the 55 was morphed into the 55 Rancher. No other difference other than limiters on the carb at some point. In addition to the rare 45mm closed port, and the 44mm 51 kits, there are 2 other closed port kits from the seemingly unrelated Jonsered models; the 490 and 590, along with their Partner versions. Poulan Pro 325 kit also works. Not sure it's the same as one of the Jonny kits. Need a Partner guy to jump in here. I did put a 490 top end on an ugly 51 I had, and it runs real sweet.

Some guys may have strong feelings one way or the other about which kit is best, but unless you've tried them all, it's hard to say. I have even read that there are differences in the porting between early and late closed port kits. Just have fun and don't sweat details like which ring is used. The better caber ring would be a plus if the saw was destined for serious duty, but otherwise not important IMO.
Thank You for the Information, it is Very much Appreciated. I am attaching some Pictures of the Existing Cylinder i Have which has the Lip which Mates with the Crankcase Cracked/Broken however there didn't seem to have any Blowby evident between the Cylinder or Gasket and Crankcase. I realize i will have to do a Vacuum and Pressure Test on this Saw (which i have never done before) Could you give me your Thoughts on this Cylinder as I don't want to Spend a Ridiculous amount of Money on this Saw. I have Purchased Aftermarket Crank Bearings, OEM Gasket Kit and Aftermarket Crank Seals but i am king of Leary on using them

Attachments

• IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0852.JPG
    IMG_0852.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 4

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That cylinder looks like it should work fine. Bottom end parts you have ought to work OK. And now that it's apart sounds like they will be going in the saw. New AM seals are often a safer bet than NOS seals that have been sitting around for God knows how long. (Especially if stored in small brown paper envelopes, which was common at one time)