044 12mm case and too many hats

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting stuff, but even after you open up the new mufflers to breath like the older ones, the older (5.1 Hp 044s) and 1st year 046s (w/D chamber) will often out run their subsequent "improved" versions.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm just not buying that the D pocket adds that much to a warmed over or slightly worked over saw. Stock 10mm, some more RPM if you have the muffler opened up. I have run just about every version of the 4 series Stihl, modded un-modded and IMO they are all lacking for there displacement. Modded 372's and Jonnys eat them up. These are test subjects. They can be sent to a dyno at some point. I agree the best runners were and still are the early 10mm 044 KS. I ran three ported saws that did very well. I ported several to about the same gains. Always been happy with my 066 and 660's. There all just about stock.

Going to build them stock with a gasket delete. Test. Then do all that can be done with out doing machine work. Test. Then when the machine work comes we shall see how big the gains are. Mine might be *s-word, who knows. Everybody has a different recipe. Never built one yet I was satisfied with. Customers are always happy.

Oh Mike, I will be starting with 28" bars w/full comp chisel or it just ain't worth it. There is already a fat nose 36 in 3/8 050 waiting. 8pin not needed.

The lighter bottom can be likened to a small journal early Chevy block. I tuned enough super stocks to know the difference is 2-3 10th on the same build big vs small bottom end. 17lbs of flying steel makes a hell of a difference in performance.

I always wondered what the penalty is for running a 12mm pin vs 10mm.
I can weigh up all the 12mm parts.
Can someone weigh a 10mm complete crank and piston assembly please? TIA

Setting up a fresh bench this week to get ready for next weeks builds. This saw build will sit for another 2-3 weeks. A few stolen saws have returned and they need to get done ASAP.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 4 transfer port 372s respond very well to porting, but I will compare my unported 044#1 to any unported 372 any day of the week. That saw performs very well for it's size & weight.

There is a reason the 1st year 046s (D jugs) are sought after. Not only did they generally have better port timing, but the D combustion chamber added about 10 psi, all else being equal.

Not sure where you are located, but if you are ever attending a GTG near me, let me know. I also really like the way my ported 046/460s run. Both 460s have ported 046-D jugs on them, and posted very good #s on the saw dyno (over 8 Hp).

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
8 hp is good. Al's 360 went better than that. I wonder if his saw has enough grunt to keep up with yours in the cut? Dentist shouldn't be allowed to play with saws. He's got an unfair advantage with the cutter, too much practice! All dentist should be band from 2smoke port work. It just ain't a fair. I taking my ball with me :p

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al is a medical Dr, Matt is the dentist. I believe that super run with the smaller saw was w/o a filter (just to see what it could do).

I was talking about a saw "as you use it". Actually, I did not even clean my air filter before the dyno runs.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
18BED114-7224-4E13-834E-322A40E2751B_zpszqfsvihp.jpg

I need two filter bases. One is broke and one is missing.

The control handle corner can be broken off and/or other damage to one of them.

Is there an AM offering? I see none on HLS.

Do you know the date of this service bulletin?