029 won't start

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was told it ran well, then wouldn't restart. I thought vapor lock, but it had cooled down, so then I thought it's flooded because he said he turned the screws 2 turns out. I aired out the engine, closed the needles, it has spark, the flywheel magnet seems to line up with the coil at TDC like my other Stihls, compression is 120psi, piston and cylinder look very good. I tried ether, even with some extra oil on the piston to help compression, which got a badly scored poulan at around 80psi running in the past, but not a single pop out of it.

What think you?

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pull flywheel off to confirm its location is correct. Do that after you check to make sure it has gas. Ive seen it happen also where a cracked fuel line in tank will keep it from pulling fuel below a certain level

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In addition to the above, check all the usual stuff if you haven't already:
Exhaust screen
Fuel filter
Tank vent
Pressure test the fuel line to check what Custer mentioned
Is it getting good impulse?

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It wouldn't fire bottle fed, so I haven't bothered with the fuel system yet. Maybe the rings are worn out because the piston & cylinder look good.

I found it in a saw shop's dumpster minus a couple parts, it is otherwise in very good condition. I figured I'll part it out if I can't get it running. It just seemed strange that it wouldn't fire on 120psi with such a good looking P&C.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It wouldn't fire bottle fed, so I haven't bothered with the fuel system yet. Maybe the rings are worn out because the piston & cylinder look good.

I found it in a saw shop's dumpster minus a couple parts, it is otherwise in very good condition. I figured I'll part it out if I can't get it running. It just seemed strange that it wouldn't fire on 120psi with such a good looking P&C.
I’d check timing and clean exhaust screen, saw will run at 120 psi unless your gauge is way off. The 029/290 wasn’t a super high compression saw anyway

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If it won’t fire with a prime, exhaust isn’t plugged, timing is good, and has spark, then there is a major crankcase leak or missing intake skirt. Have you looked at the intake skirt? It should fire with 120 psi, dose it have a new plug?