CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys,
Picked up this 028 AV Super last week. Seller said it would fire sometimes sometimes not. I pulled it 3-4 times no-pop, but flipped the switch off of choke and it fired right up.
Got home and tried to fire it up---NOTHING!.
Slammed in a Bosch plug..BINGO!
Fires on 1st pull every time, idles good, BUT when I give it 3/4 to full throttle it kinda bogs & acts like it's going to cut out!
What's the remedy: New fuel lines, fuel filter, carb adjustment, etc, etc?
20170801_195930.jpg 20170801_200016.jpg

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
8:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just pissin in the wind here but could be a tank vent.Had a 346 that would start one pull no choke have to let it idle or would kinda bog like your sayin.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys,
Picked up this 028 AV Super last week. Seller said it would fire sometimes sometimes not. I pulled it 3-4 times no-pop, but flipped the switch off of choke and it fired right up.
Got home and tried to fire it up---NOTHING!.
Slammed in a Bosch plug..BINGO!
Fires on 1st pull every time, idles good, BUT when I give it 3/4 to full throttle it kinda bogs & acts like it's going to cut out!
What's the remedy: New fuel lines, fuel filter, carb adjustment, etc, etc?
View attachment 81863 View attachment 81864
These saws have the choke set up inside the air filter. They are know to pull the choke closed in the filter when at 3/4-full throttle.
Just for chits and giggles try taking the air filter off and see what happens.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just pissin in the wind here but could be a tank vent.Had a 346 that would start one pull no choke have to let it idle or would kinda bog like your sayin.
Thanks...looks like I'm going to wind up going through an elimination list of possible snafus...:rolleyes:

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These saws have the choke set up inside the air filter. They are know to pull the choke closed in the filter when at 3/4-full throttle.
Just for chits and giggles try taking the air filter off and see what happens.
+1. Look at filter confirm good spring and flap closes.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an identical saw that I bought last year. I just started mine an hour ago and it worked fine. I recall changing out the fuel filter and the tank vent hose that was falling apart. About an inch and a half of typical Tygon line and the scrub screw works fine for that.

Unfortunately, the fuel line has to be removed to change the fuel filter, which is kind of a PITA. Note also that the air filter has a flap that provides the carb choke and it's triggered on the far right of the control rod. Be sure that it pivots OK. You cannot see the "magic" flap from the outside. It's not the best of designs but it works.

If you get this saw working and bought it for under $220, you got a steal of a Stihl. I'd take one over an 029 or 290 Farm Boss any day. Just MHO.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Wood Doctor.
I'm looking @ replacing fuel lines & filter to see if that helps out.
If my mechanical skills were as good as my buying & selling I'd be ok,...but they're not!:(
Got it fer $60

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Wood Doctor.
If my mechanical skills were as good as my buying & selling I'd be ok,...but they're not!:(
Got it fer $60
That's a great score. I'm really fond of the 028s, especially the Supers. Basically bulletproof.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've r
That's a great score. I'm really fond of the 028s, especially the Supers. Basically bulletproof.

I've replaced fuel lines & fuel filters on other Stihls is this one different?
Also, if it still is acting a bit boggy onto the carb right?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Wood Doctor.
Got it fer $60
Sixty bucks? That's truly incredible. I sold a running 028 Super last year to a guy I talked to today. He said, "Edwin, that is the best chain saw I have ever owned. Always starts, plenty of power, and never bogs down with its 18" bar. It was the best $200 I ever spent."

CrystalRiver1, please fix this saw and try your best to make it a runner. You will be glad that you did. Yes, it could be the carb, but focus on the rest first.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sixty bucks? That's truly incredible. I sold a running 028 Super last year to a guy I talked to today. He said, "Edwin, that is the best chain saw I have ever owned. Always starts, plenty of power, and never bogs down with its 18" bar. It was the best $200 I ever spent."

CrystalRiver1, please fix this saw and try your best to make it a runner. You will be glad that you did. Yes, it could be the carb, but focus on the rest first.
I'm all over it like slob on a baby, tomorrow!:D

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If it's been sitting new lines and a carb rebuild would be advisable .
They are great saws , one of my favs .

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's been sitting new lines and a carb rebuild would be advisable .
They are great saws , one of my favs .
Just ordered OEM fuel line of of FleaBay (No local dealer had it in-stock), headed now to grab a OEM fuel filter.:greedy:

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not uncommon for a saw that has been in storage or idle for several months to need some run time to limber up the diaphragms in the carburetor. If they're too stiff, they won't come back. Have you made any attempt to adjust the mixture screws?

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Check the impulse hose and intake as well , if that saw is all original it's good just to know everything is OK including the vent hose and grub screw in it . And yes , OEM only , the chinese stuff is crap .
I think all those are still available , I least I managed to order some in from my local dealer for a nice but early 028 WB saw I picked up . My son has 3 runners and 2 for parts , 1 that would be an easy fix as it's got a good jug and piston on it .
That's all he uses mostly and his 044 I rebuilt for him when he needs a bit more saw .
Now if you can find a nice 038 super or better yet a mag you'll be all set !

Last edited:

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not uncommon for a saw that has been in storage or idle for several months to need some run time to limber up the diaphragms in the carburetor. If they're too stiff, they won't come back. Have you made any attempt to adjust the mixture screws?
Nope...left the screws untouched for now. I'm going to change out the fuel line & filter, drain fuel & fill-up with ethanol free and go from there. Air filter looks new.