worn out chain thread

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
THAT is why most of my chain stash is in DL counts that I actually utilize!

Most, not all.
I can't pass up a deal even if the DL count is odd.
I have bought several buckets of scrap chain (mostly end of roll short links) and with my own breaker/rivet masher, I can make whatever I want/need and butterfly in a section if the chain is not badly bungled up.

At deal is a deal, comes in handy later on for sure!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look for close outs on pre-sets on eBay, etc. Too expensive to buy ‘onesey-twosey’. Prefer OEM.

I buy STIHL pre-sets by the bag at my dealer.

I keep them sorted in ‘Plano’ - style tackle boxes, or *WELL MARKED* in labeled, zip-lock bags.

Going to link related A.S. Thread, so I don’t have to copy or repeat everything.

Philbert

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep them sorted in ‘Plano’ - style tackle boxes, or *WELL MARKED* in labeled, zip-lock bags.
This is a must.....we had something similar at work and it didn't take long for people to start mixing up the 3/8p, .325 and 3/8 master link and tie straps. Though it was easy to pick out the Husqvarna mixed in with the Stihls.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See photos and comments in this A.S. thread.

Some I received as a gift, or part of a deal. But I’d prefer to not spend another evening at the kitchen table, with a micrometer, and a bunch of drive links (to test fit gauge), sorting.

Philbert

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But I’d prefer to not spend another evening at the kitchen table, with a micrometer, and a bunch of drive links (to test fit gauge), sorting.
Nothing worse than trying to put a 3/8 chain together and unwittingly picking up a ".325" tie strap from the 3/8 bin and wondering why it isn't fitting...and then looking and seeing a bunch of them all mixed up.