High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

When Do You Replace A Chain Catcher?

When Do You Replace A Chain Catcher?

• Once a week, whether it needs it or not.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • ANY time it has taken a hit or caught a chain.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • If it is heavily burred.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • If it is severely bent.

• Only if it is broken off or missing.

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • What's a chain catcher?

• Total voters

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When do you replace a metal / alloy chain catcher, such as those on saws like the STIHL MS260/261/460/460 models?

Sounds like a simple question, but I am looking for some serious answers to share with some people.

Thanks!

Philbert

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Replace if its missing when i get a saw in...replace it if looks like its taken a proper hit...replace if its on a saw in for service and is like the first two examples.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't know there was more than 1 type. Is 1 better than the other?

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
11:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What the hell is a chain catcher? OH YEAH! It's that little white cylinder thingy on the bottom of the sprocket cover.......I don't even replace them when they're missing. Snicker snicker. Just kidding. I replace them when they go missing.

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If its torn & looks like it won't take another hit without breaking/failing. They are soft for a reason therefor don't last forever.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where does one find or buy the roller type chain catcher?
Or do you guys make them yourself?

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I often put new ones on saws I'm selling and use the ugly ones on my own saws. If you buy them right, they're pretty cheap. Like others, I see them mangled, broken off or missing completely on saws I take in. I think they're an important safety item and always make sure they're present on saws I sell.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a prime example of why you should always have a good chain catcher. 2 dollar part could've saved the 50 dollar clutch cover.

133c5d3333fc6edef69343e3cefc7a82.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does this roller type chain catcher actually catch the chain? Won't the chain just slip off and keep moving?
When the chain 'jumps' out of the bar groove, chain tension is lost, and the chain drive links are pushed away from the drive sprocket. So, essentially, the chain stops spinning, but the loose loop still has some momentum, and can swing around and 'slap' the operator.

1. Flat, metal or plastic chain catchers 'catch' the chain by snagging one of the cutters. Round chain catchers still provide a post to 'fold' the chain loop, shortening its length, so it is less likely to hit the operator.

2. The large, flat guard at the base of the rear handle of modern saws (usually thought of to step on when starting a saw on the ground) protects the operator if the chain slaps back that far.

3. Gloves and chaps provide further protection from chain slap. So it is a 'layered' approach to protection.

In my experience, when a chain jumps the guide bar groove, it usually just hangs there. But chain breakage and more violent events are possible. As I understand it, the burrs, and other damage to drive links observed when a chain jumps the bar groove, are usually due to contact with the spinning drive sprocket, as opposed to being damaged by the bar rails or the chain catcher itself.

Proper chain tension can reduce chains from jumping out of bar grooves, but even a properly tensioned chain can jump when cutting brush, and small diameter branches, which get between the chain and the bar, and lever it off like a tire iron. So having a chain catcher is important - the style / design will vary by manufacturer and model.

Philbert

Last edited: