What's on your bench?

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
10:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. Give him an 029 Farm Boss loaner next time. Keep the 026 for yourself. LOL
I had gifted him the saw. He’s a good dude and was in need.
He then had trouble starting it due to bad joints. He happily traded me back for an 018.
I can’t complain about that.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right now a 4.3 Litre marine engine in Dads' bowrider is what I am wrenching on. Cleaned the carb and got it to fire off last weekend, pulled the dipstick and it looked like chocolate milk. :( Pulled the drainplug and about a gallon of water came out before any oil. :(:(:( Flushed the crankcase with Kerosene and re filled with fresh 10W30 and a new filter. Hooked water to it and it wouldn't pull in the engine, impeller is bad. Ordered a new impeller kit and will try again next weekend but I suspect the engine will be coming out soon. :BangHead:

UPDATE: the block is cracked, great big split that starts just below the number five intake runner and hooks down to the lifter valley right at the number one exhaust lifter. Looks like a full rebuild it is.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There must be alot that can be saved from the motor you have. No need to buy new everything.

I need to get it apart but the valvetrain all looks good just with the intake off. I am pretty certain the crank, rods, cam, ignition, heads, manifolds, and the accessory drive will all be useable. Pistons may be good but wither or not they get reused will depend on if the block i get needs to be bored or makes standard. Will definitely be getting new main and rod bearings, cam bearings, rings, oil pump and water pump, gaskets and seals, plugs and wires, valve job, and the starter and alternator rebuilt. I only want to do this once.

Last edited:

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A true Marine crate engine is $5K. I think i can build one for ~$1500.00
I put a same year engine from a chevy 4.3 blazer in my Sea Ray (it had a 4.3 LX ), bolted rite up. Had a shop do rings and bearings check the heads.
One thing he did say it to keep the crank and balancer shaft together, sometimes mix and match dont work on those.
You may get a shake.
The previous engine got froze with water in it , cracked one head and the block.
Good Luck.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put a same year engine from a chevy 4.3 blazer in my Sea Ray (it had a 4.3 LX ), bolted rite up. Had a shop do rings and bearings check the heads.
One thing he did say it to keep the crank and balancer shaft together, sometimes mix and match dont work on those.
You may get a shake.
The previous engine got froze with water in it , cracked one head and the block.
Good Luck.

No balance shaft in this one, 1988 OMC Marine.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, I am stumped! Can’t get this TS 800 to run. I have spark, I have fuel and I have 168# compression. No air leaks, new fuel lines, new impulse lines, new gaskets, new seals, re did ALL the wiring, swapped coils. Crankcase/cylinder holds pressure and vacuum.

Poured some fuel down the throat: nothing.
Poured fuel in the airbox and sealed it: nothing.
Spun with impact gun: nothing.

Suggestions?

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I am stumped! Can’t get this TS 800 to run. I have spark, I have fuel and I have 168# compression. No air leaks, new fuel lines, new impulse lines, new gaskets, new seals, re did ALL the wiring, swapped coils. Crankcase/cylinder holds pressure and vacuum.

Poured some fuel down the throat: nothing.
Poured fuel in the airbox and sealed it: nothing.
Spun with impact gun: nothing.

Suggestions?
Timing??

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Rebuilt the carb for the 3rd time, everything is good inside. Pulling over I smell fresh gas out of the decomp. New plug, new spark plug wire......

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ground wire shorting out somewhere preventing it from running?

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
4:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Building a saw to a buddy of me....
_DSC4870.jpg

This is as far as we came, waiting for top end kit and I need to hunt down a used fuel tank:
_DSC4878.jpg

A very delayed project, have to get the crank checked...: (before I start to hunt after used parts)
_DSC4876.jpg

And this one waiting for parts also, ie bearings, gasket kit, seal, and a slug:
_DSC4877.jpg