High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Whats on the Grill or Smoker?

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ask the guys above, as I always grind mine into sausage. I do not have the time to wait on smoking a whole pork but. Too many hours for me.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I plan on doing it over night on my electric smoker.

I would guess that it will take between 14 and 36 hours, depending on the smoker and the temperature you run the smoker. Don't think you can do it overnight, but I could be very wrong.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I plan on doing it over night on my electric smoker.

Wondering why it has to be done over night? It should not take 12 hours to smoke a butt (even if it is 10+ pounds).
Although I fully realize that folks out there are smoking butts for much longer I cannot imagine the meat having any moisture
left inside if it is cooked unwrapped . To rub, or not to rub is a debate among those who cook BBQ. The old school guys I learned under put little or nothing
on the meat before it went on the cooker. There are a multitude of rubs out there. I have used "Butt Rub" which is prepackaged
and available at Academy Sports (on line as well at various places).

My target temperature for finish also depends on when and how the meat will be served. If I am cooking for a group and intend
on serving the meat within 30 minutes of taking it off my cooker I bring the butt to around 195-200 degrees. If the meat is going
to rest wrapped for longer than 30 minutes thats another story and the finish temp depends on how long the rest period is.
The time a butt is cooked is determined by size and temperature of your cooker. My desire is to keep my heat around 250 degrees
and go low and slow.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wondering why it has to be done over night? It should not take 12 hours to smoke a butt (even if it is 10+ pounds).
Although I fully realize that folks out there are smoking butts for much longer I cannot imagine the meat having any moisture
left inside if it is cooked unwrapped . To rub, or not to rub is a debate among those who cook BBQ. The old school guys I learned under put little or nothing
on the meat before it went on the cooker. There are a multitude of rubs out there. I have used "Butt Rub" which is prepackaged

My target temperature for finish also depends on when and how the meat will be served. If I am cooking for a group and intend
on serving the meat within 30 minutes of taking it off my cooker I bring the butt to around 195-200 degrees. If the meat is going
to rest wrapped for longer than 30 minutes thats another story and the finish temp depends on how long the rest period is.
The time a butt is cooked is determined by size and temperature of your cooker. My desire is to keep my heat around 250 degrees
and go low and slow.
At 250 degrees it takes longer than 12 hours to get a butt to 195. This is in my egg though, everyone’s smoker or even thermometer can be different.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At 250 degrees it takes longer than 12 hours to get a butt to 195. This is in my egg though, everyone’s smoker or even thermometer can be different.

I don't own an egg and I totally agree with the fact that every cooker is different.
In simple deference to you sir -- I've never cooked a butt 12 hours but if it takes that long on your egg -- make it happen.
It's all BBQ, and if it's cooked right there's nothing better. Enjoy your meal.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't own an egg and I totally agree with the fact that every cooker is different.
In simple deference to you sir -- I've never cooked a butt 12 hours but if it takes that long on your egg -- make it happen.
It's all BBQ, and if it's cooked right there's nothing better. Enjoy your meal.
Once a butt hits 150 it starts to sweat and lose or hold temp. At this point I should wrap it, usually don’t. I try to push through it cuz I have time. Normally end up wrapping it anyway to get final temp

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once a butt hits 150 it starts to sweat and lose or hold temp. At this point I should wrap it, usually don’t. I try to push through it cuz I have time. Normally end up wrapping it anyway to get final temp

Once you hit "the wall" it takes a bit to get beyond it. The old timers never wrapped (like the debate about the heat source, and types of wood for smoke some things were taboo). I wrap every butt I cook these days and the end result in moistness is notable enough that I shall continue. Served these to an international company -- the leaders had never had BBQ. The left pic is brisket (I chopped it this time), the second pic is pork. Not a crumb left!

Attachments

• BBQ_brisket.jpg
    BBQ_brisket.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 9
  • bbq_A.jpg
    bbq_A.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 8

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I start mine at 10:00 the night before. Done for dinner the following day.

Here's a question about the Egg. Are you using the plate that goes into the grill that allows you to cook indirect on this lengthy cook? Just curious, I have very little knowledge of the Egg.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
11:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

and go low and slow.

These were done for 14 hrs at 225*-230*, unwrapped.
I've done them for up to 18 hrs. Never had one dry out.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a question about the Egg. Are you using the plate that goes into the grill that allows you to cook indirect on this lengthy cook? Just curious, I have very little knowledge of the Egg.
Yes, 3 chimney starters of lump charcoal and a few good hunks of cherry wood. The divider plate to cook indirect, takes about an hour to get all the charcoal and wood going good and calmed back down to temp. About 250 - 275, let it go for at least 14 hrs then wrap until it’s at least 195, high temp of 203