huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
9:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that's what i thought. but i have nothing but common sense to back me up.... lol
According to a couple guys in the know, even octane booster needs added in crazy quantities to actually raise octane for a vehicle. Like a couple ounces per gallon barely changes it.

I think the “oil reducing octane” thing is blown way out of proportion. I doubt 32:1 changes the octane by .25 of a number

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For our 358cid restricted race motors We seen 7-11% gains on the dyno running E85. We normally run 110-112VP... our motors range from 11:1cr to 13:1cr.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found this interesting...

The oil that is added to 2 stroke fuel lowers the octane rating of the gasoline. So a higher rating is needed to maintain the required level. Since the only difference the octane RATING makes is the fuels ability to resist detonation...

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
According to a couple guys in the know, even octane booster needs added in crazy quantities to actually raise octane for a vehicle. Like a couple ounces per gallon barely changes it.

I think the “oil reducing octane” thing is blown way out of proportion. I doubt 32:1 changes the octane by .25 of a number
i have never believed that adding 12 oz of so called octane booster is going to change the octane of my 25 gallons of gas enough to make a difference if any at all

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have never believed that adding 12 oz of so called octane booster is going to change the octane of my 25 gallons of gas enough to make a difference if any at all
Get rid of the ping in my sand rail. But it’s a very small tank. Like 5 gall?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found this interesting...

The oil that is added to 2 stroke fuel lowers the octane rating of the gasoline. So a higher rating is needed to maintain the required level. Since the only difference the octane RATING makes is the fuels ability to resist detonation...
2smoke oil is made to burn. I think it helps make power cuz earl makes more power than gas. Besides sealing the rings better.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have experienced detonation towards the end of an 18 ft milling wrip, 36" bar buried, pulling .404. Pav-ported CS1201. The saw got HOT. The detonation wiped out the spark plug. Ignition timing and squish a bit too spicy for mid-grade. Midgrade 90 octane is all we get here in Alaska.

Replaced spark plug. Fresh batch of fuel mixed 32:1, I mixed 1 oz per gallon of an mmt octane booster. Never had that issue again. It raised the octane by 7 points, so was close to 91 octane, mixed up.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Depends on where the decimal point is on the bottle, some octane booster are only raising a fraction of the point.
Good octane booster is not what you want to get on bare skin because of the carcinogens!
I had a bottle of pure benzene once years ago. I added an ounce of it to my push mower tank, Son of gun did pick up 200 rpms and cut 10" grass like a belly mower!

Woodsman

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have experienced detonation towards the end of an 18 ft milling wrip, 36" bar buried, pulling .404. Pav-ported CS1201. The saw got HOT. The detonation wiped out the spark plug. Ignition timing and squish a bit too spicy for mid-grade. Midgrade 90 octane is all we get here in Alaska.

Replaced spark plug. Fresh batch of fuel mixed 32:1, I mixed 1 oz per gallon of an mmt octane booster. Never had that issue again. It raised the octane by 7 points, so was close to 91 octane, mixed up.
I believe you can order canned Sunoco Optima 5 or VP Racing. They have octane ratings from 95 to 112.

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I spoke with a member of the local fire department who said they use Tool Fuel (not to be confused with Trufuel) premixed 40:1 that has an octane rating of 95. It‘s expensive and can‘t recall cost off hand. Their equipment could be used in the next hour or sit for 6 months without use.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe you can order canned Sunoco Optima 5 or VP Racing. They have octane ratings from 95 to 112.
Thanks, no canned, would be too expensive. I go through about 5-6 gallons of chainsaw gas a month. Anyhow, the mmt octane booster does help.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the casual user a premium corn free canned fuel is probably the best. I don't even use that much 2 stroke fuel but I always mix my own so I know exactly what is in it. I can afford to shoot only factory ammo but I reload for much the same reason.