• Total voters

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some Williams stuff, it's solid. Pretty sure they build a lot of stuff for Blue Point.

From what I've been told yes, they have a few brands under the same blanket. I think the Williams Taiwan line, is the same as Blue Point.

Lions fan

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was starting out S-K was my favorite. Now that they've been bought up by the Asians, not so much.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not heard of them. How about OTC (Owatonna Tool Co)?

JH Williams was founded in NY in 1882, by James Harvey Williams. JH Williams has changed hands a few times since the 1880's.

Snap-on acquired Williams in 1993, and dropped the JH off the name. Snap-on redesigned the Williams ratchets when they took over. Post 1993 Williams ratchets take the same rebuild kits as Snap-on ratchets, of the 1990's threw early 2000's era.

Williams has a USA line and a Taiwan line. I only buy the USA line. I was told by someone who works at Williams, that the Williams USA tools are made in the same plant where Snap-ons are made.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SK baby!!! Once you turn an old SK ratchet there’s no going back!!

When my grandpa passed away, late 1980's I was willed his 3/8 drive SK socket set. I really liked that set, the fine tooth ratchet was really nice.

Mid 1990's some cork sucker broke in my garage and stole most of my tools. Most of the stuff I could of cared less about, as it was just cheap stuff. But the SK set that I got from my grandpa meant something to me, and not something I could replace.

The modern SK ratchets are not the same, as the older stuff.

Lions fan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah kinda stuck with the old stuff but it’s pretty bulletproof.
10 years ago, I never thought I'd give them up. However, as I get older and my hands don't have the grip or the dexterity they used to, I'm growing to prefer the Gear Wrench and Matco ratchets with the plastic handles.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When my grandpa passed away, late 1980's I was willed his 3/8 drive SK socket set. I really liked that set, the fine tooth ratchet was really nice.

Mid 1990's some cork sucker broke in my garage and stole most of my tools. Most of the stuff I could of cared less about, as it was just cheap stuff. But the SK set that I got from my grandpa meant something to me, and not something I could replace.

The modern SK ratchets are not the same, as the older stuff.
Obviously you can’t replace your gramps set but you can find them on eBay fairly reasonable. I just picked up a long handle 1/2” ratchet the other day for under $100.

Lions fan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in my early days as a marine mechanic everything was done with hand tools. Battery powered stuff wasn't here yet and you couldn't drag an air compressor down the docks with you. My old faithful 3/8" flex head S-K. Rebuilt over and over til the head finally stripped out and they couldn't replace it.
20240213_184903.jpg20240213_184926.jpg

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Hand tools? Never found a shovel that fit my hands.
First heard of this, waaaay back when Discovery, learning and Science type of channels were still mostly educational instead of being loaded with all the trauma/drama duff.

jasper89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Schollhorn pliers. Old and unique.

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MAC Tools takes the cake, bar none for my favorite hand tool brand. I have some of their CL series wrenches and a fine tooth ratchet and they have to be the best finished tools I’ve ever had in my hand. As their slogan states, they really are great to work with.

With all of that said, Proto Industrial makes up most of my sockets and wrenches. They’re borderline indestructible and made in the USA. They’re also nearly as good as their MAC cousins for a lot less money. When you own sockets from 1/4” drive/4mm up to 1” drive/4” that price makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got it all. Little of this and that Mac snap on craftsman wiha wera knipex. Sk used to make the best screwdrivers they were made in France. Bonney for old stuff. Just depends. Dewalt for drills and *s-word. Williams old 3/4 drive. Proto gear wrench. I only have favorites in certain categories.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpgFrench sk. Bought another set of sk screwdrivers but the quality wasn’t the same. If you find any of these you want them. Next ones will be blue point