High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What is the best new Stihl trimmer FS90 through FS130

Milkman31

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but I gave up on Stihl trimmers and went to Echo. Easy to re-string and only use 2-stroke engines, plus a 5yr warranty to boot.
With that 5year warranty they are about to SAIL another one!

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have two choices for Echo in town. There is the "box" farm store and a long term private dealer who works dawn to late in teh night. Obviously you know which I would choose. The problem is he will steer me toward the Shindiawa units

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought the KM94 last year and couldn't be happier. I was going to go Echo but my Stihl dealer beat the price and has always taken good care of me so I got that one. Now up to about 5 attachments, grass trimming is the lowest of any use but I wonder about the head, I may look at the Echo Speedfeed conversion. I only had to restring twice last year but it took longer than I thought it should have.

grassguerilla

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Echo 225 is a great little trimmer. Best bang for the buck IMHO. However it should be noted that it is a very small (but potent) engine at 21cc and 2-stroke. Still for regular weekly or bi-weekly trimming it's all you need. If things get a bit better get down and you need to occasionally tackle taller, thicker stuff it takes a while, but will get the job done. The arm 230 at only 23 cc is surprisingly more powerful than you might expect. It is actually a worthwhile step up. The srm266 still around $299 is a serious weed slayer. With the srm266t being the gear reduced "high torque" version. The 266 models being the choice of many lawn care pros. Echo also offers an srm 280 which is a beast of a trimmer and overkill for all but the most power hungry amongst us. IMHO the 266 non high torque is the sweet spot in the Echo line up. But lots of LCOs use the srm225 on their weekly accounts due to cost and durability. They do run forever. Echos motto should be "they just work".

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I admit what worries me with the Echo units is the displacement. The FS130 is 36cc

grassguerilla

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I admit what worries me with the Echo units is the displacement. The FS130 is 36cc
Comparing 2-cycle to 4-cycle. It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Generally the 2-cycles accelerate better, and the 4-cycles have better torque.

The SRM 280t compares pretty well in the real world vs say the FS110. The FS130 is just a boat load of torque. I should also say that the 21 cc Echo is much more powerful then you'd expect when piss revved. If you compare it for instance with the 25 cc ryobi or toro trimmers sold at the Home Depot, the tiny Echo engine is as strong or stronger and certainly much better built.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
8:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looked on stihls site to see the models out ,i am still running old fs80 models ,one with bike bars one without,be nice to update soon ,they are getting old , looks like there is a 1 after the new models now ,fs91 111.131 etc are they whole new engines ?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@junkman those are the latest generation 4-mix trimmers. I have the FS111RX and it's only a couple of months old but it's good and the throttle can be feathered unlike the old 1st generation FS90R. I've attached info on the new 4-mix engine trimmers.

Attachments

• tmp_16537-new 4 mix mtonic tb594568809.pdf
    773.1 KB · Views: 8

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Never had a problem with my HT101's. Throttle works just fine. I did find one was way better on fuel and lacked rpm. It turns out the carb is smaller. Must be off something similar like a smaller whip.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Echo 225 is a great little trimmer. Best bang for the buck IMHO. However it should be noted that it is a very small (but potent) engine at 21cc and 2-stroke. Still for regular weekly or bi-weekly trimming it's all you need. If things get a bit better get down and you need to occasionally tackle taller, thicker stuff it takes a while, but will get the job done. The arm 230 at only 23 cc is surprisingly more powerful than you might expect. It is actually a worthwhile step up. The srm266 still around $299 is a serious weed slayer. With the srm266t being the gear reduced "high torque" version. The 266 models being the choice of many lawn care pros. Echo also offers an srm 280 which is a beast of a trimmer and overkill for all but the most power hungry amongst us. IMHO the 266 non high torque is the sweet spot in the Echo line up. But lots of LCOs use the srm225 on their weekly accounts due to cost and durability. They do run forever. Echos motto should be "they just work".

Are the echo carbs adjustable?

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A store chain was clearing out all the Maruyama up here last fall so I got a straight shaft trimmer , 30cc saw and hedge trimmer all at 50-70% off .
I've got to say that these are all made in Japan and the quality and build impress me , the trimmer runs great as do the others .
Not sure if these are available in the USA ?

I will add that I much prefer the throttle responce of a 2 cycle trimmer VS the 4 stroke .

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@stihl livin @Bill G The universal Speed Feed head comes with the gold adapter. Just replace it with the green one and make sure that when you attach the arbor to the spool, the spool has the arrow pointing left facing up. If not all the line will fly off of it the first time it's bumped. Also you need the black plastic spacer washer to go on first then tighten the head down on the trimmer.View attachment 65999

@PissRev

Is this the speed feed that you recommend for the km130?

https://sleequipment.com/shindaiwa-..._tabs_advancedreviews_product_additional_data

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@stihl livin Yes. The 400 or 450 Speed Feed heads will work for the 130.

Last edited:

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna 525 LS & 525 LST what's the difference? How are they compared to a a Stihl FS 94?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna 525 LS & 525 LST what's the difference? How are they compared to a a Stihl FS 94?

The LST has a lower gear than the LS. Unless you run with the guard off and like a real long string, I would get the LS. Speed kills.

I have both the FS94R and the 525LS. It's a coin flip between the two. They both have good anti vibration, fully adjustable carburetors, and good air filtration. The FS94R is lighter and has a better choke / simplified starting and is better balanced without the guard installed. The 525LS will rev a little higher and has a little more power but uses more fuel.

The Stihl allows 6" of line out each side of the head when the guard is installed and the Husky allows 7" of line when the guard is fitted in the farthest position.

Between the two pick the one where you have the best service from the dealer.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The LST has a lower gear than the LS. Unless you run with the guard off and like a real long string, I would get the LS. Speed kills.

I have both the FS94R and the 525LS. It's a coin flip between the two. They both have good anti vibration, fully adjustable carburetors, and good air filtration. The FS94R is lighter and has a better choke / simplified starting and is better balanced without the guard installed. The 525LS will rev a little higher and has a little more power but uses more fuel.

The Stihl allows 6" of line out each side of the head when the guard is installed and the Husky allows 7" of line when the guard is fitted in the farthest position.

Between the two pick the one where you have the best service from the dealer.

Sounds like for all day use the stihl would win?