What brand of chain is this?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
8:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Deets, did you get that bar/chain combo from a very prominent eBay seller?

I got a similar combo a couple years ago ... had an Oregon chain ...
Yup, I’ve bought a lot of stuff from him over the years. He’s always been good to deal with

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the MAC bar..I suppose its a Canadian speed tip. Underated bars IME. Chain=China hold it up sideways and see how much 'bow' it has. I've found quality chain bows a little, China stuff a LOT.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dang, must be way cheap if they’re cloning Forester.
There are some '3rd' party chain manufacturers that copy STIHL, Oregon, Carlton, etc. designs, either after the patents expire, or just because they can get away with it. Then there are outright counterfeit chains.

Some companies contract out their manufacturing to these guys and have their names stamped on the chains, and some is sold in different boxes with no name. It should be mentioned that a number of chainsaw companies outsource(d) their 'branded' chains to Oregon / Blount for many years too; at least there you know what level of quality and consistency to expect.

I would not encourage people to buy 'no brand' stuff just on price, but it sounds like this just fell into your lap. As I said, "If it cuts, run it!". If not, toss in the recycling bin.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I made it to the shop for a few pics
View attachment 155749
The loop on the right is some recently purchased Carlton from a 4 pack deal of of ebay.
Carlton product should be marked 'Carlton'. And eBay is notoriously slippery about 'replaces XXX' type descriptions.
Notice how the tie straps on the marked Carlton chain are pointed at the sides, versus the flat sides on the other chain (more Oregon like)?
Notice how the ends of the marked Carlton cutters are distinctly sloped, versus the more straight sides of the other chain (again, more Oregon like)?

Check out the link to the Carlton catalog below. Things may have changed,
http://content.yudu.com/web/y5b2/0A...h/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=#noRedirect
or http://www.carltonproducts.com/ choose 'Products', then 'Catalog'

Philbert

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carlton product should be marked 'Carlton'. And eBay is notoriously slippery about 'replaces XXX' type descriptions.
Notice how the tie straps on the marked Carlton chain are pointed at the sides, versus the flat sides on the other chain (more Oregon like)?
Notice how the ends of the marked Carlton cutters are distinctly sloped, versus the more straight sides of the other chain (again, more Oregon like)?

Check out the link to the Carlton catalog below. Things may have changed,
http://content.yudu.com/web/y5b2/0A...h/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=#noRedirect
or http://www.carltonproducts.com/ choose 'Products', then 'Catalog'

Philbert

I could tell instantly that they were not the same. But the price was really hard to beat. And yeah other than the C1 on the DL it looks totally like Oregon

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the opposite sideView attachment 155455

Also judging by what I have on hand it seems that the number on the driver indicates gauge and in your case means .058? I know I don't have .058 on hand and mine are either marked #3 which I am pretty sure is .050 and I have #6, I'm thinking is .063.
the number 6 means 1.6, a 5 means 1.5, and 3 means 1.3

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Philbert may need one for prosperity and stuff ... ;)

He can also try sharpen it on the TEMCo grinder, see if the grinder gets straddled by the chain. :rolleyes:

Very cool looking.
All You need now is a sprocket and bar so You can make a video of it cutting timber. :)

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He can also try sharpen it on the TEMCo grinder, see if the grinder gets straddled by the chain.
Interesting question on mounting this chain in a grinder. Depending on the 'gauge' (space between) and thickness of the straddle links, you might be able to use one half of a conventional grinder vise, or else replace these with a bar / rail of the correct thickness. Grinder's cutter positioning dog / pawl should still work, but the clamp probably would not.

Philbert

Last edited: