Welding handlebars

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice. Ive got a Dolmar 7900 Id love to find someone to build a wrap handle for it

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought mine off Amazon and did this Redmax.

thumbnail_KIMG2127.jpg

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got any pictures of after you welded or in the middle of welding ?
No I totally skipped the in-between photos. I was going to take a pic after it was welded out before I painted it but I got caught up in the moment lol.

It was tricky welding to the stock handle. That sucker is thin!
The tubing I used was probably 1/8" wall. Trying to get the heavier tube to puddle without liquidating the stock handle was fun. Had to weld colder than I like.

Last edited:

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nicely done i have a couple half wraps you could do up for me
If I had a bender that would bend that tight of a radius I wouldn't mind doing them. Wouldn't be nothing to it really.

The death by a thousand cuts method is pretty time consuming and would be cost prohibitive. Probably had three hours in them start to finish.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No I totally skipped the in-between photos. I was going to take a pic after it was welded out before I painted it but I got caught up in the moment lol.

It was tricky welding to the stock handle. That sucker is thin!
The tubing I used was probably 1/8" wall. Trying to get the heavier tube to puddle without liquidating the stock handle was fun. Had to weld colder than I like.
I've come to the conclusion that, when I weld a stock handle, to lay a base weld down like I'm filling a larger hole in thin material, then let it cool a little for the second step of tacking, cool again for the welding.

Then I got the Dynasty ..................... still looking forward to playing with some of the settings/parameters on it for handles. I'm hoping to eliminate the cooling down process entirely

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've come to the conclusion that, when I weld a stock handle, to lay a base weld down like I'm filling a larger hole in thin material, then let it cool a little for the second step of tacking, cool again for the welding.

Then I got the Dynasty ..................... still looking forward to playing with some of the settings/parameters on it for handles. I'm hoping to eliminate the cooling down process entirely
I've got the dynasty 210sd. Doesn't have quite the adjustability that the dx has nor will it do pulsed ac. Also has no way to adjust background current in DC pulse. So pulse is pretty much worthless.

I have had luck adjusting the pps to regulate heat input on thinner materials welding DC.
Razor blades for example, I couldn't weld them edge to edge straight DC but if I pulsed about 20-30 pps with max amps at 30 (I think) I could put a nice little bead on them.

.030" stainless was another one I used the same method on. So I guess it's not totally worthless.

Welding this handle I set a/c balance on miller's pro setting and frequency at 70-75hz.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had a bender that would bend that tight of a radius I wouldn't mind doing them. Wouldn't be nothing to it really.

The death by a thousand cuts method is pretty time consuming and would be cost prohibitive. Probably had three hours in them start to finish.
I haven't done this before but I always figured if I was doing that I'd either buy/acquire a 2nd half wrap and cut that up, or I'd buy a 372 wrap and cannibalize that.

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't done this before but I always figured if I was doing that I'd either buy/acquire a 2nd half wrap and cut that up, or I'd buy a 372 wrap and cannibalize that.
That would probably work better. You would already have to bends to work with. Make a few cuts and just have buttwelds to deal with.

I started to buy one of the delcheapo variety for a 460 off ebay and do just that. Then I found that piece of aluminum conduit in my shop and the wheels started turning.

I still haven't had it out for a run yet. Going to try to get out this evening when it cools off a bit. 97 degrees here on the gulf coast right now. And probably 90% humidity!