Weak 026

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So here is the dilemma... I am working on an 026 that starts easily, revs and 4 strokes like it should, and has over 140psi comp. It just bogs in the cut. No carb tweaking seems to help it. It has an 024 tank on it as the original was broken and there was a dead 024 lying around with a good tank. I know the 026 fuel hose will not fit the 024 tank, but is is a smaller ID? It may have the 024 carb as well, would that be a potential problem? It has high and low adjustments. Any ideas?

HiOctane

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As Duane says, run it w/o air filter.The spring that holds your choke flap is probably too weak and shut itself when you hold the throttle.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree check your air filter. It most likely has Wt-22 or Wt-194 carburetor. The size of carb is not your problem...it could need a cleaning or I've had a 026 that was very sensitive to carb adjustments. Keep us updated.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also recheck the fuel line for kinks in it and look at your inpluse line for cracking and/or possibly being barely on. How are the motor mounts? If there are loose and you have bad inpluse line that could be stretching and opening up a crack.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
just play with the 028 I sent you and mail me the 026! :p

1.) Air filter.
2.) Pull muffler and let us know if the exhaust side is wet. That means too much fuel (ie leaky welch plug)

If nothing else I always swap on a good carb from another 024/026 to see if that corrects the problem. Got a good running 024/026 laying around?

As for the gas lines, the later 260's had a larger hole in the tank and could use a 029/290 fuel line with the larger grommet. I usually cut the grommet out of an old 029/290 fuel line and open the hole in the middle to stuff some good fuel line through. If the hole in the tank isn't big enough you can drill/dremel it out to fit the 029/290 grommet. Makes it easier on the next owner to replace fuel line from the auto parts store and not have to wait for ebay or dealer to get a saw specific fuel line.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol, it's not my saw! The filter sucks, there is a new one on the way though. The saw is one I put together for a friend a while back. He sold it to a startup tree service. It has been doing fine for months until now. The tree service dropped 9 saws off for me to check out with various problems. The most common factor was completely clogged air filters...

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@panteliss yes, it only bogs in the cut. It is immediate. I verified it myself last night. It sounds like it should rip right through it, but touch it to wood and it falls flat on its face

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So here is the dilemma... I am working on an 026 that starts easily, revs and 4 strokes like it should, and has over 140psi comp. It just bogs in the cut. No carb tweaking seems to help it. It has an 024 tank on it as the original was broken and there was a dead 024 lying around with a good tank. I know the 026 fuel hose will not fit the 024 tank, but is is a smaller ID? It may have the 024 carb as well, would that be a potential problem? It has high and low adjustments. Any ideas?
Only thing i can add to what others have said is Metering hight and it sound "possibly" a H side issue. Don't know if you have been in the carb or its a reliable kit/needle ?...sounds all about not getting the right amount of fuel when its needed so impulse also would be on my list with the usual filter/line checks done. As czar800 mentioned ..I also find the 024 026 and ms 240 260 won't tolerate much out on the carb

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20160226_164829.jpg Air filter like this?????? Owner said saw wouldn't stay running, wouldn't idle, ran hot, low on power...... Asked him about fuel being used and air cleaner since saw had a lot of fine dust on it and a brutally mutated chain.
I blew the saw off, then checked the air filter......if this is clean for him since he said he just cleaned it, I found the problem!!!
Cleaned air filter and ran like a dream.....did readjust a little. Gave it back with a picture of what I found......

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty much, yes. The filters on the 026's mostly resembled that one, but without the "packing" that one shows. It is hard to pack the dust like that when you are running without the cover... They "wouldn't stay on and got lost"

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If pulling the air filter doesn't do it, than have you tested for an air leak, impulse line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol, it's not my saw! The filter sucks, there is a new one on the way though. The saw is one I put together for a friend a while back. He sold it to a startup tree service. It has been doing fine for months until now. The tree service dropped 9 saws off for me to check out with various problems. The most common factor was completely clogged air filters...
I would charge the living sh!t out of a "tree service" that brought me 9 saws for me to clean air filters on....Just sayin' nobody's that busy!

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
026 filter 005.JPG
This is how bad a 026 filter sucks!!! I am no less than anal about keeping my stuff clean, and this is what an 026 air filter that was kept religiously clean on the outside, looks like on the inside. Someone explain to me how this got through?

Last edited:

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes the cleaning process pushes particles through. Everything looks like fine particles all bunched up in clumps in the pic. I usually split them and blow them out from the inside out to get the particles out after I do the initial cleaning with a paint brush.